2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problem with my Ram

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Mopar Mike
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with my Ram

ok so I was on here, 'round 'bout January looking for a 2nd Gen. Ram to buy, someone Recommened Craigslist, so I used it, Found a truck, so I bought it.

I bought the Truck 2 weeks ago, come Tuesday, only has 97,000 Miles, It's the 5.2 318, and it is a 4x4.

ok I havnt gotten it Registered yet, so It's been sitting in my Driveway this whole time.

I drove it over 100 Miles home, Perfect, Flawless, no Problems.

I went out about 5 minutes ago to Move the Truck, and I put it in drive, Drove about 45 Feet give or Take, Then I put it in Reverse, Well when I did that It made a weird a Wierd Whining Noise, I drove it in Reverse back to where I had it, went to Put it back into Drive and the Truck just Dies.

I started it back up to see if it would Fire. It started right back up, but I didn't take it out of Park.

Does anyone know what the Problem could be?

Old 05-02-2009, 05:49 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

let it idle in neutral for awhile and warm up.
for some stupid reason, the transmission pump doesn't run in park.

it'll probably quiet down.

edit - by sitting for so long, all the fluid may have drained back. mine whines a little in reverse when cold. its sort of normal. a minute or so in neutral helps it.

welcome.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 05-02-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Mopar Mike
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but that wouldnt Cause it to die when I took it from Reverse to Drive though, would it?

Even after it died, I started it back up in Park, The Motor Sounded different at idle and When I reved it.

Quick Reply: Problem with my Ram