2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

408 stroker ram project

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 01:45 PM
jbomb
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys that helped a lot.

Well I found a huge vacume leak so when I get here fired this evening it should run a lot better.

Working on my x pipe and exhaust today as well as finishing up my gauges.

Pics to come

Old 09-12-2009, 12:36 AM
jbomb
Veteran

well still need to do some tweeking but the truck is still not running right. I am going to change out the map sensor for a new one and am waiting for my fastman to come for my rear o2 senor. But the truck still wants to die when I let off the gas and coast for a little bit?

Old 09-14-2009, 05:11 AM
dodgeboy01
Amateur

yeah this winter i'm gonna build a storker for my 01 dodge but i think i'm gonna go the easier way and do a carb and ditch the Fuel injection. i'm gonna look into it more as this is my tow rig its not a dailyer driver so gas mpg dont matter to much

Old 09-14-2009, 07:28 PM
jbomb
Veteran
Default 408 help

Well the truck doesnt want to run very well. It seems to be running lean. And seems to have the power of a nice 318. I need to buy a new iac senosr and map sensor. But what I really need is for krc to return my emails and calls so I can get my tuning figured out. Truck is ready to go and just sitting in the driveway. I wont post a vid untill she is runnig right. (all ready talked to some very good tuners across the country and have a message sent to hemifever)

Old 09-15-2009, 09:42 PM
jbomb
Veteran

well long story short I have talked to a lot of people and nobody seems to like krc performance. And now I am starting to learn why. There service is sub par. I wont go into details because I dont like typing that much. he told me that my distributer gear is in the wrong spot and needs to point at the 11:45 position and my distrubutor screws at the 9:45 3:45 positon. So I yanked off my dist cap and

yup looks like I had it in the right sopt allready!!!

so I did not have the distributor in the right spot tho. So i positioned it and the truck would not start and sounded horrible. So then I figured I did not pay attintion to where the rotor was pointing and needed to position it 180 degrees. And it still did not start. I am going to try my original rotor positon tomorrow and give o krc a call. And hopefully hemifever replies to the message i sent him yesterday!

Where are you hemifever

Old 09-15-2009, 10:01 PM
busaguy05
Professional

lol I could say so many thing... But I don't know that this is the thread to bash them in... I've had the similar problems, but thank god my engine still is not ready to put in. I've gone through the trouble of contacting SCT for the software to tune my self. They will sell it to any one but there just as trouble sum as any of the above. Best of luck to you and me and any one else in this boat...

Old 09-17-2009, 04:01 PM
jbomb
Veteran

Well when krc saw the pic he immediatly said it looks off like 10 and 2 still becaue it looks like I went past tdc and backed up and went for it agian- which I did. He said you cant back up you have to go all the way aroud so I will try that. I just thought that as long as I backed up enough to hit the positve side of all the gears I would be fine but its worth a try.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:17 PM
jbomb
Veteran

well indexed my distributor gear and it seems to run better, but still lean and not much power down low. I have been in contact with hemifever about doing my tuning and we should talk more tomorrow. I decided enough is enough and will be buying a 53mm tb from fastman tomorrow also.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:02 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think the 53 mm is for supercharged motors... what manifold you have on there ??

i think when you get the sct your truck should take off like a rocket, with that custum tune and the torque management being off you should be able too have a 408 be a 408

Old 09-21-2009, 03:49 PM
jbomb
Veteran

no the 53 is for hevily moded motors and 408s I have talked to him a lot on the phone and his 53 is what he recomends. (he has a 55 for extreme applications)

I do have an sct on there just the tune is off and I am trying to get my tuner to actually tune. I am trying to swich tuners so it should go better now.

I have the stock intake for now, its not the best but its not a bad intake. Something different can come latter in the future.

Quick Reply: 408 stroker ram project