2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

408 stroker ram project

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:33 PM
jbomb
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 408 stroker ram project

Well guys I just bought a 96 ram extended cab 4*4. I am building a 408 (406) stroker motor using a 97 5.9. I will be rebuilding the trans at the same time. I just dropped off the block at muscle motors in lansing MI for machine work. I ordered my stroker kit form indy clyinder head, which is being deliverd to muscle motors for balancing and matching to each clyinder. I will keep you guys updated for sure. I plan on having this done by the middle of next month. I will also be asking some of you for some advice form time to time. First off is what is the best programmer out there. Looking for something with lots of adjustablility. Anyway here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails 408 stroker ram project-truck1.jpg  
Old 05-09-2009, 01:38 PM
jbomb
Veteran

btw how come I can only have one attachment. even if I reply to this thread I cant post another pic. I use the same chat forum on a motorcycle forum and it does not put my pics as an attachment.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:18 PM
95RamIT
Rookie

Originally Posted by jbomb
btw how come I can only have one attachment. even if I reply to this thread I cant post another pic. I use the same chat forum on a motorcycle forum and it does not put my pics as an attachment.
Not sure about your picture issues lol.
But with you motor set up, do you plan on running aftermarket heads? Brand? How much did your kit run you? Good luck! I really wanna get this done with mine after i do all my body work and mechanical work.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Ninety5PoloZ
Rookie

I'm going to keep my eye on this one.

What intake setup are you going with? Are you planning on using the kegger or the Mopar single plane setup for these trucks? Also what cam and heads are you planning on using?

I'm sure SCT will be the tuner suggested, there doesn't seem to be a lot of choices in the tuning department for these trucks. I personally don't own one (yet) but I'm searching to see if someone does their own tuning or knows of someone that does mail order tunes but haven't had any luck.

But the 408 stroker motor sounds badass, I'm sure that in my trucks future with some good heads and the single plane intake.

Good luck and post lots of pics

Old 05-09-2009, 03:28 PM
busaguy05
Professional

Right no your only option for tuning like your going to need is SCT, HP Tuners is working on the Dodges right now, no date as of yet. There are many 408 builds on here you can check mine out here https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-has-come.html

Old 05-09-2009, 03:45 PM
szarin
Rookie

i like the idea!

Just wondering what led you to a 408 stroker. My engine died and i am in the middle of taking the engine outta the truck.

I had a few friends suggest i tune the motor while i was rebuilding. I need to get the block checked for cracks, and it needs bored out a bit. The rings were damaged so im not sure how much i want to bore it out.

I've got a '99 5.9L running 35" tires a 4" suspension lift, and while the engine is getting rebuilt im gonna be adding a 3" body lift to the truck. With the bigger tires, it does needs a bump in horse power.

Was just looking for some insight from ya. thanks.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:58 PM
jbomb
Veteran

But with you motor set up, do you plan on running aftermarket heads? Brand? How much did your kit run you? Good luck! I really wanna get this done with mine after i do all my body work and mechanical work.
Stock heads with a bowl port and gasket match.

Basic stroker kit form indy cost 1000

Old 05-09-2009, 11:12 PM
jbomb
Veteran

What intake setup are you going with?
I will be staying with the stock intake.

This truck will be a daily driver, with fuel economy in mind.

Right no your only option for tuning like your going to need is SCT, HP Tuners is working on the Dodges right now, no date as of yet. There are many 408 builds on here you can check mine out here https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-...-has-come.html
thanks bro I will check the link out

Just wondering what led you to a 408 stroker. My engine died and i am in the middle of taking the engine outta the truck.

I had a few friends suggest i tune the motor while i was rebuilding. I need to get the block checked for cracks, and it needs bored out a bit. The rings were damaged so im not sure how much i want to bore it out.

I've got a '99 5.9L running 35" tires a 4" suspension lift, and while the engine is getting rebuilt im gonna be adding a 3" body lift to the truck. With the bigger tires, it does needs a bump in horse power.
I decided on the stroker because it made no sense to not build one. It does not cost much more than a typical rebuild. And with a stroker you wil gain gobs of low-end torque, which is what you want in a truck anyway.

Last edited by jbomb; 05-09-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:27 PM
jbomb
Veteran

when I click on manage attachments it show a red bar and says total of all attacments owend by jbomb

Old 05-09-2009, 11:39 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Just simply upload them to photobucket (or any website), and then just copy and paste them in your post. You can do as many as you want in each post that way.

Cant wait to see progress on the 408!

Quick Reply: 408 stroker ram project