2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

408 stroker ram project

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:56 PM
jbomb
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just got my gaskets from mancini tonight. So I can start portmatching my heads tomorrow. I was not able to pick up my block today, they wont have it done untill the first of next week. I talked to the guys from krc performance. Very helpfull they seem to have it together I wil be buying my sct programmer from them. And maybe my cam also. I cant seem to find another cam with the 108 deg. lobe seperation with the lift I am looking for. thats if for now.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:53 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was running a pretty stock engine and my heads cracked. I believe rex's was basically stock as well.

I wasn't saying that cause of talk. I'm talking experience. I understand the money issue. I'm there myself with my build. However I'm kinda lazy and only wanna tear into my truck once.

Good luck with your build man. I plan on keeping an eye on it.

(Ps not being a dick just telling ya my experience)

Old 05-15-2009, 10:13 PM
jbomb
Veteran

your cool man. yeah for now (money) the heads will be stock

Old 05-17-2009, 01:58 AM
szarin
Rookie

Well, i tore down my engine, turns out the rings were fine. One of the rockers for number 7 piston is shot though and the gasket on the bottom of intake plenum was broken. I was lucky enough that i didnt bend any push rods or break anything else inside the engine. I did some testing on the oil pressure sending unit and found out that it was broken, that explains why it said i full pressure as i was speeding down the highway with an empty oil pan...

Now i just have to find a place to order a kit within Canada to save on the currency exchange and custom fees. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 05-17-2009, 09:59 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion

I'm really confused on what you mean. Can you take pics of the damage?

Old 05-17-2009, 03:07 PM
szarin
Rookie

Can't take any pics, i've already tore down the engine.

When i was tearing down the engine, one of the lifters was hard to remove, i was able to push it out with my finger but it was difficult. The lifter didnt scratch the walls, but after testing the lifter we confirmed it was shot, i was planning on getting new lifters anyways so no big deal.

The cylinder walls of the piston are fine. They are not gouged or scratched. They are actually in good shape.

My engine always consumed more oil than any other vehicle i've had before. I figured it was leaking from the rear main seal.

I did some research on the internet, and there was a TSB on '99 engine "spark knock and oil consumption". In the bulletin it states that there is a gasket failure on bottom of the intake. The vacuum pressure sucks oil outta block through the failed gasket.

Does that clarify things?

Old 05-17-2009, 05:26 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

The thing about the rocker blowing through the intake is what confused me.

I hear ya on the lifters being tight. We had to pry mine out

Old 05-17-2009, 06:08 PM
The Bull
Professional

I would defently like to see a final build price on this

Old 05-18-2009, 01:11 AM
BigDodge99
Rookie

Well Im in the final stages of building my 408 and so far with machining, EQ heads with 2.02`s, good valves, a little head work, 52mm TB, mopar cast crank, scat forged rods, forged pistons, mopar valve covers, 24lb injectors, Krc 408 cam, SCT, and Im in about 6k.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:31 AM
szarin
Rookie

quick update. after breaking down the bottom end of my engine it was in really really good shape considering i ran out of oil at 90 mph.

When i saw the plenum gasket sucked out i figured that was most likely the cause as i stated earlier. However i wanted to be 100% sure there was no damage to crankshaft bearings... nothing like assuming you know what the problem is... putting the entire engine back together only to have it break down 2 months later.

With that said, I will still go ahead with the 408 stroker build. Seeing as i was laid off from my job i dont think i want to go as big as bigdodge99 and spend 6k, although that would be nice hehehe.

I am debating whether or not to keep the stock heads and spend my money on headers and a hughes F1 airgap, that way i wold never have to worry about that damn plenum ever again!

The way i figure... Im running 35" tires, it would be nice to have a little extra HP to turn them.

Quick Reply: 408 stroker ram project