2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

408 stroker ram project

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 03:48 PM
jbomb
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been working 70 hrs. a week lately so tonight I will be able to update you guys on the progress. Lots of new stuff and some nasty surprises.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:28 PM
jbomb
Veteran

well I had purchased another motor to build while leaving the one in my truck. The stock heads were cracked in weird places! suck. you told me so. So I orded some from enginequest. Sweet heads flow better than the magnum r/t heads. Just got most of my goodies. pacesetter long tube header ceramic coated! Wow! My bro almosed jizzed when he saw these they are very nice good quality. Well I should be able to pick up my block and stroker kit tomorow or thursday. And on a crappy note the rearend of the truck is shot. The gears are all wasted. So I bought a sure-grip! o and by the way my sct programmer is in the mail! k guys I will keep you posted. If I dont get back to you guys right away just bare with me I am still working about 70hrs and then trying to work on the truck each night so I dont turn on the computer evey night.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:04 PM
szarin
Rookie

okies, so i've talked to a machine shop here. He said it would be best to match compression from the stock engine to the new one i am trying to build. (makes sense). I should also figure out the volume of the heads so they can be matched. (again, makes sense... ive seen this on tv... tv never lies lol!!)

Due to money concerns, i'll be using my old heads.(dont want to... but thats another story...) I will be getting the FI Airgap, Any bolts from ARP, the kit will be a 408 stroker from eagle, however there are a few questions i have.

I need some information

1) Does anyone know the stock compression of the '99 dodge Ram 1500 5.9L
2) This will sound dumb... I know ... But How or what products will i need to tune the computer. I'm familiar with superships and tuners for for trucks that have the stock engine in working condition... (that was, until my friend shot his spider gears through his rear diff and another twisted the tranny mount cause he put 1000 ft. lb of torque on his stock torque converter... but again... thats for another story). and how do you tune the '99 dodge with a different engine than the computer/ecm had from the factory.
3) where did i put my beer... nevermind, thats in the block...

thats about for right now.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:47 AM
ron333
Captain

My suggestion is for you to contact Hemifever@aol.com and get one of the SCT tuners from him. He will be able to adjust the programming to match everything you're doing for the 408. Also, if you get it from him, he can readjust the programming for you later down the road when you get rid of the stock heads for ones that flow better, or any other changes you make to the truck. His customer service would be hard to beat! Talk to him about any questions you have. He'll be happy to help.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:49 PM
jbomb
Veteran

I talked to the guys at krc perfromance and they seem awesome. They give free adjustments afterwords. and have allready givin me a lot of advice on building my motor. I picked up my block and stroker kit today from the machine shop! Will start to clean it and assemble tomorrow. It seems that we are blocked evey step of the way. Indy forgot to shipp the rings to the machine shop so I cant do much this weekend but o well. I can start however removing the rearend from the truck to install the new sure grip one.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:28 AM
Linustratus
Professional

Shure Grip? I can tell i have some major play in my rear diff, wondering where to go now...... Sorry its a lil off topic.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:09 AM
jbomb
Veteran

are you asking what to do with your rearend? If theres play it probably means most everything is shot back there$$$

Well when I get home from work in a couple of hours the block will go on the engine stand and we will start the cleanig porsess, it will take a while, if we are lucky we will get the crank in today.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:46 AM
jbomb
Veteran

well we didnt get started on the motor yesterday.(we had some major cleaning in the shop to do to get it worthy of building a new motor in.(plus a couple motorcycle rides)) so I hope to start cleaning the block today. I was told that I can drag and drop pics from anothersite. will this work with facebook that is the only other site for pics that I have.

Yup I guess it works. This is the block before we shipped it out.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:28 AM
smallblockfreak
All Star

Good choice only i'm going with the 410 which is just .040 over pistons not sure what heads yet prolly w2,w9 heads already got a summit stage 3 strip/street intake manifold prolly gonna go with a 750 demon carb. Mines a 80 d150 stepside so i'm allowed to go carb lol. Good luck on your build.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:35 PM
jbomb
Veteran

Hey thanks bro the same to you. Here are some pics of todays work.

Quick Reply: 408 stroker ram project