2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Battery Acid Corrosion in eye...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 11:33 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Battery Acid Corrosion in eye...

I'm curious as to if anybody has had a small bit of battery acid corrosion from the battery cables get in their eye? I'm talking about a small piece, like a grain of salt. Just enough to irritate it... I washed my eye out for 15 minutes and flushed it with eye wash and it doesnt burn anymore, only sore from all the water i flushed in it. Should I still get medical attention? I understand this is probably the wrong place to ask, but I figured you guys had more experience with this crap than anyone else! Thanks!

Old 05-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah it's happened to me. Same as you, just a bit, but enough to burn and irritate it. Unlike you I wasn't even really smart enough to wash my eye out. I just let it tear up a bit and tried to get it out with me sleeve. It did go away after a little while. It didn't seem to have any effects later or anything like that if that's what you're worried about.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:44 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have to question it, then maybe you should have it checked out. As a senior prank, a friend of a friend drilled a hole in a 100+ year old redwood tree at a high school and poured a little bit of battery acid in the hole. By the next day, the tree was starting to rot from the inside out and the branches started to brown. Needless to say, he was kicked out of school.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:44 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cereal Killer
Yeah it's happened to me. Same as you, just a bit, but enough to burn and irritate it. Unlike you I wasn't even really smart enough to wash my eye out. I just let it tear up a bit and tried to get it out with me sleeve. It did go away after a little while. It didn't seem to have any effects later or anything like that if that's what you're worried about.
Yea lol that's really all I was worried about. My dumbass friend needed my help to change his oil under his car, so while I was under it, he was like "Damn look at all this acid buildup!" and he swept it off, right into my eye underneath. He's not very bright, obviously. So anywayz, yea thanks, just curious.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:36 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

battery acid will produce a chemical burn.
a nice long flush with water was the best response, and is the same thing that medical treatment would initially do. this flushes the chemical to reduce any further burn, as well as cool the surface and reduce irritation.

any burned spot will now need to heal, which may take several days.
vasoline is a good treatment for mild irritation and discomfort.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:43 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cereal Killer
It didn't seem to have any effects later or anything like that if that's what you're worried about, other than the black eyepatch I wear for the rest of my life.

Fixed your quote, Cereal.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:59 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lol...

Old 05-10-2009, 09:42 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Lmao...

Old 05-10-2009, 03:15 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good one...

Old 05-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lol, I actually bought one of those pirate looking eye patches, cause I work on the road, and sometimes I wear it to a bar or something where no one knows me just to start conversation, or see how long it takes someone to ask me about it. Or talk in an celtic accent or something. Just ways to amuse myself.

Quick Reply: Battery Acid Corrosion in eye...