2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intake choice for low end

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 02:44 AM
ripto
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last I checked, no significant amount of oil in the plenum, but the truck does ping. No sign of death flash

Old 05-15-2009, 03:58 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine didn't look like there was much oil from my broken plenum either, looked like just a trace.

Until I replaced my manifold, complete with Hughes plenum kit, and looked down into my old one with the old plate still attached. There's probably about 1/4 to 1/2 a quart of oil in there.

My point: fix it. You're pinging should stop (unless you have other small maintenance issues, such as wires/cap/rotor, or major serious engine issues), and your power and gas mileage should go up.

No sign of death flash, of course not, you have a Hypertech. That would pretty much eliminate the death flash. However, increasing your timing with it, plus a broken plenum, can definitely cause pinging.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:02 AM
ripto
Captain

By no sign of death flash I meant no sticker on the PCM. The hypertech 87 octane setting didn't really affect the amount of pinging.

How long would you say it would take a shop to change the plenum?

Old 05-15-2009, 04:07 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Half a day, if they are inexperienced with Dodges. And just shy of $400 if the mechanics charge a decent labor rate, not including parts. I've read some places charge $500+ for the same job.

The Hughes kit or APS kit are about $86 plus shipping. You'll need one of those to give to the mechanics.

If you have the tools and space, and a second vehicle, you can take a weekend and do it yourself. I don't have a second vehicle, the time, or the space, otherwise I would have took a crack at it.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:30 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive heard the dealer wants $700

Old 05-16-2009, 02:39 AM
ripto
Captain

Just to clarify, when someone talks about "low end" its low in the RPM range like say 0-2500 RPM and not low speeds right? Whats the need to have more power in the upper RPM if you're not towing anything? Like someone said 90% of the mods seem to be for high end stuff.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:38 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ripto
Just to clarify, when someone talks about "low end" its low in the RPM range like say 0-2500 RPM and not low speeds right? Whats the need to have more power in the upper RPM if you're not towing anything? Like someone said 90% of the mods seem to be for high end stuff.
For towing you want low end , If you want "lowend" leave the truck stock .. lowend rpm range will be from idle 550-700 rpm up to 3000 rpm. or from idle up to 6000 rpm... the best thing that can be done for lowend is gears , no fancy plugs , wires , intakes , programers ...

Old 05-16-2009, 06:00 PM
fjmg
Amateur

That is what I have seen on plenty of these mods, you can (and probably will) DECREASE the available torque below 3000 rpm, (read 99% of towing), which is why I have not modified my 5.9. The only real solution I have seen to increasing towing capability is to get the cummins. But after trading/selling my truck I need an additional $6-8k which buys me alot of time on the highway (that I will spend trailing behind a cummins).

Like the saying goes "speed cost money, how fast do you want to go/tow?"

Old 05-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Jpnorris87
Professional

It sounds like with the mileage you are getting, that you are running 3.55. My bone stock 01 gets 12mpg, no matter if Im pulling or empty. On the highway, I can come close to 14mpg. But, Im running 4.10's and all I have to do is floor it to leave 2 smoking black marks on the pavement. So it sounds like you need to make a decision....you cant have a ford ranger that gets 30mpg and can pull a 24ft gooseneck trailer at the same time. It seems that other than checking the plenum gasket, if you want mileage....keep your truck the same. If you want a truck with alot of get up and go, and want to hot rod it....check the plenum gasket and get you a set of 4.10's.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:36 PM
ripto
Captain

Yea JP it pretty much comes down to that. I mean since I got my motorcycle I really don't use the truck unless I HAVE to. Just doesn't seem right to see my friends 5.2's outrun this thing. And well, also if I wanna put that much more money into it.

Quick Reply: Intake choice for low end