2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

More cam questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 06:31 AM
trucklover
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More cam questions...

If you put the KRC 210x cam, EQ 2.02 heads, modified kegger intake, 52mm TB, shorty headers, SCT tuner on a 5.9L engine in a Ram 4x4 QC with a stock stall, 3.55 gears and 265 R16 tires how much bottom end power will it have? I know it would run better with the performance stall and gears, but I am wondering what will happen if I leave it stock (due to lack of funds!!)

How will it idle?

It does have 4 degrees of advance ground into it, what if you advance it more (in order to move the power band down a little)? I have talked to Marty at KRC about that and he said the cylinder pressures would increase making it more prone to ping. Has any got any experience with this?

Last edited by trucklover; 05-16-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by trucklover
If you put the KRC 210x cam, EQ 2.02 heads, modified kegger intake, 52mm TB, shorty headers, SCT tuner on a 5.9L engine in a Ram 4x4 QC with a stock stall, 3.55 gears and 265 R16 tires how much bottom end power will it have? I know it would run better with the performance stall and gears, but I am wondering what will happen if I leave it stock (due to lack of funds!!)

How will it idle?

It does have 4 degrees of advance ground into it, what if you advance it more (in order to move the power band down a little)? I have talked to Marty at KRC about that and he said the cylinder pressures would increase making it more prone to ping. Has any got any experience with this?
Yeah, youll loose low end. Same situation as me (w/o the cam and heads) but I have P/P heads. Swapping the gears will help, but a larger T stall would be better. If u leave it as is ( t stall and such i mean) your low end wont be killed, but youll notice a difference between your low and your high ends. If your building a daily driver, should be fine. If your building a dragger/daily (like me) the low end loss kinda kicks me in the ***.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:46 AM
trucklover
Veteran

Good info! Thanks!!

Old 05-17-2009, 08:17 AM
trucklover
Veteran

How does a higher stall affect a daily driver? Does it cause more fuel usage, drivabilty problems on the street, more wear on the tranny? (Keep in mind we are talking about a truck and not a car and also it is not going to be raced) I just don't want it to feel less powerful on the bottom end than stock.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:22 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by trucklover
How does a higher stall affect a daily driver? Does it cause more fuel usage, drivabilty problems on the street, more wear on the tranny? (Keep in mind we are talking about a truck and not a car and also it is not going to be raced) I just don't want it to feel less powerful on the bottom end than stock.
Basically, higher stall will take a little more throttle to get the truck moving the same speed when the engine rpm's are below the stall of the converter than it did with the lower stall factory converter. Some will tell you (people that sell them) that you will gain hwy mpg's based on higher efficiency. If this is true, it was neglible in my case.

As long as you stay at or below 2800, you should be fine driveability wise. The only thing that ever bothered me w/ 2500 was going up tall grades at low speeds (ex:going up a big hill in a neighborhood after turning a corner). In those rare instances, the slip will be amplified.

Also, you should install the 210x straight up or you're gonna pay up top

Last edited by mopowar; 05-17-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:09 PM
trucklover
Veteran

Originally Posted by mopowar
Basically, higher stall will take a little more throttle to get the truck moving the same speed when the engine rpm's are below the stall of the converter than it did with the lower stall factory converter. Some will tell you (people that sell them) that you will gain hwy mpg's based on higher efficiency. If this is true, it was neglible in my case.

As long as you stay at or below 2800, you should be fine driveability wise. The only thing that ever bothered me w/ 2500 was going up tall grades at low speeds (ex:going up a big hill in a neighborhood after turning a corner). In those rare instances, the slip will be amplified.

Also, you should install the 210x straight up or you're gonna pay up top

I believe for now, (since I am just about broke!) I am going to leave the stock stall in it, and if I don't like it I can save up and put one in later. But, it would sure be a lot easier to change in now with the engine out.

I agree with you on the cam install. I am just going to put it in by the cam card and call it done.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:45 AM
BigDodge99
Rookie
Old 05-18-2009, 06:57 AM
trucklover
Veteran

Originally Posted by BigDodge99
The only bad thing about that setup is you don't get the choppy idle!! I will probably wish that I had went with a cam like that or at least the 206x, but right now my heart is set on the 210x (not to mention I already have the cam!!)

Old 05-18-2009, 10:29 AM
BigDodge99
Rookie

Well I can tell you from experience that that cam wont really come alive until you get in the upper r`s. I had it before and was alittle dissapointed. I also had a 2500 stall. Just food for thought. Its easy to get caught up in the bigger power, bigger cam. Torque is where its at for in town stop light to stop light driving fun. I know what you mean by the "lope". Thats what everyone wants.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:40 AM
trucklover
Veteran

Originally Posted by BigDodge99
Well I can tell you from experience that that cam wont really come alive until you get in the upper r`s. I had it before and was alittle dissapointed. I also had a 2500 stall. Just food for thought. Its easy to get caught up in the bigger power, bigger cam. Torque is where its at for in town stop light to stop light driving fun. I know what you mean by the "lope". Thats what everyone wants.
What kind of setup did you have?

I actually do have the EQ heads with the 2.02 valves, modified kegger, SCT tuner, 52mm TB and headers. The reason why I am starting this thread now is after you buy something (even though you research it) you will always run across new information that makes you second guess yourself!!

Quick Reply: More cam questions...