2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stumped by Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:51 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone5959
...it been a "perplexer" hasn't it...redzone...
Your not kidding. I think your right though. If any of us were right there infront of it we could probably diagnose the issue with a little bit of testing etc.. I did talk to a buddy of mine who works on diesels all the time and he said that if the vacuum pump goes bad that the pedal would get hard as a rock. That is what the ford diesels do anyway as he said to me that is what he works on. I would venture they would all do that. I am at a major loss on this now. The only other thing that could explain it that I know of is that he needs those holding tools that the dodge mechanic I talked to said he needs to get the valving in the ABS module and metering block to bleed correctly. Other than that I have no idea what else could cause it.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:27 PM
the Master5851

do you have the right caliper on the right side? I was replacing a frozen caliper on a chevy malibu once and advance auto gave me the wrong side caliper. I didn't even bother looking to make sure it was the right one and I had the same problem you are having. I don't know if you can put the wrong one on a ram but its just a suggestion.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:33 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by speeddemon31176
Your not kidding. I think your right though. If any of us were right there infront of it we could probably diagnose the issue with a little bit of testing etc.. I did talk to a buddy of mine who works on diesels all the time and he said that if the vacuum pump goes bad that the pedal would get hard as a rock. That is what the ford diesels do anyway as he said to me that is what he works on. I would venture they would all do that. I am at a major loss on this now. The only other thing that could explain it that I know of is that he needs those holding tools that the dodge mechanic I talked to said he needs to get the valving in the ABS module and metering block to bleed correctly. Other than that I have no idea what else could cause it.

I'd have to agree, if the pump was bad the pedal would be hard , just like when the motor isn't running. Now I don't feel like reading the whole thread again, but I would lean towards a faulty booster. The diesel does have a hydro booster right?

Old 06-17-2009, 08:02 PM
vinnie5604

Hey guys, I am back to the project after some personal reasons...First of all, I would like to thank each and everyone of you for trying to help me out with this nightmare,,Also, I apologize for not explaining what the truck was from the start...Its a 95 Diesel Dump...I put a vacuum gauge on the pump today and it was reading about 21-24 lbs of vacuum...When I hit the brake pedal, it drops to about 11-15 lbs...Is that normal, or should it stay at 21-24..

Quick Reply: Stumped by Brakes