2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stumped by Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:34 AM
redzone5959
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JackJ
Who ever showed you how to bleed brakes lied to you, If you keep on pumping like that you will suck air back in, and you also aint really moving that much fluid because every time you release with the tbe in the jar ally ou are doing is sucking the fluid back in that you just squirted out.

The correct way you do it is have you friend pump a certain amount of times I always pump 3 time hold the pedal while other dude craks the screw and I would hold the pedal to the floor untill the the bleed screw is tight again.

You can buy some speed bleeders to replace your stock bleeder screws and you can do this yourself, I got them for my Jeep as I have a leak in the system that only shows its face after it has sat for awhile and they work wonders.
...he said to first use a bleeder hose and a container...well unless the container is shallow...you can pump like a wildman and it aint gonna suck air...all you have watch for is pumping the master cylinder dry...

Old 06-11-2009, 07:40 AM
redzone5959

Originally Posted by speeddemon31176
I thought the same thing as you Zman. He has to have a diesel. There are no vacuum pumps on gas setups. If in fact his truck is a diesel then yes the vacuum pump could be weak but I am not too familiar with how the cummins is setup.
...vaccum has no bearing on bleeding brakes...other than it makes it easier to pump the pedal...but most prefer to bleed with the engine killed...so after one pump of the pedal (on a engine not running) you are out of vaccum, wheather its diesel or gasoline...redzone...

Old 06-11-2009, 05:15 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone5959
...vaccum has no bearing on bleeding brakes...other than it makes it easier to pump the pedal...but most prefer to bleed with the engine killed...so after one pump of the pedal (on a engine not running) you are out of vaccum, wheather its diesel or gasoline...redzone...

I think you should read the whole thread,

Old 06-11-2009, 07:12 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Boy I love it when people jump to confusions. Hey redzone if you are going to quote someone please take the time to read the entire thread so that you are familiar with all of the positions and angles in which the topic was approached from. There is a good chance that if we have posted on the issue that we are aware of how the brake system works on a vehicle, but it is quite difficult to diagnose an issue from multiple states away, so we are all doing our part to try and HELP the best we can.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:37 AM
redzone5959

Boy I love it when people jump to confusions. Hey redzone if you are going to quote someone please take the time to read the entire thread so that you are familiar with all of the positions and angles in which the topic was approached from. There is a good chance that if we have posted on the issue that we are aware of how the brake system works on a vehicle, but it is quite difficult to diagnose an issue from multiple states away, so we are all doing our part to try and HELP the best we can.
...i'm been following this thread for awhile...and yes i'm at job site...so i cant just kick back and read...like i would do if home...but i will re-read the whole thread...just to see what part of it i missed, that makes it wheather its an diesel, or gas relevant...and if i posted incorrectly, i apoligze in advance....redzone...

Old 06-12-2009, 05:41 AM
redzone5959

Originally Posted by zman17
I think you should read the whole thread,
...zman...i guess you read the reply i just posted to SD...so yes i will reread the posts i followered at first of thread...and double check some of the last couple pages...for something i missed....redzone...

Old 06-12-2009, 11:45 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

What we are trying to get across is that the OP has done everything from replace just about every major component in the system including lines to putting teflon tape on the fittings. He has even replaced some of the newly purchased components in the belief that they were bad from the store. We were simply clarifying that his vehicle is a diesel and not a gas setup. The difference of which would simply include a vacuum pump. Nothing more nothing less. I was not now nor was I previously indicating that the vacuum pump would make a difference on bleeding the system, however the OP was complaining that his pedal would go to the floor even after multiple bleeding sessions. Like I previously posted, I wasn't sure if the fact that the vacuum pump may be weak would allow the pedal to go to the floor and was leaving it open for someone with more expertise in the diesel area to either confirm or deny whether or not that is the case.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:47 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone5959
...zman...i guess you read the reply i just posted to SD...so yes i will reread the posts i followered at first of thread...and double check some of the last couple pages...for something i missed....redzone...

No problem man, I've done it way too many times myself. Basically, the prob is that the brakes bleed fine without it running, but when he drives it the pedal goes to the floor. And a mechanic told him it was the vacuum pump. In other words , what he said , speeddemon that is.

Last edited by zman17; 06-12-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:03 AM
redzone5959

Originally Posted by zman17
No problem man, I've done it way too many times myself. Basically, the prob is that the brakes bleed fine without it running, but when he drives it the pedal goes to the floor. And a mechanic told him it was the vacuum pump. In other words , what he said , speeddemon that is.
...gotcha...this is an interesting thread...and one of those, that kinda makes you say to yourself "if it was in front of me i could fix it", but who knows, it might be one of those that seems to be "a puzzler" (hard to find the answer)...

...JMO...but i would have a hard time believing a new vaccum pump will make a difference...but hey, i could be wrong...

...again...an interesting thread...

...redzone...

Old 06-13-2009, 07:06 AM
redzone5959

What we are trying to get across is that the OP has done everything from replace just about every major component in the system including lines to putting teflon tape on the fittings. He has even replaced some of the newly purchased components in the belief that they were bad from the store. We were simply clarifying that his vehicle is a diesel and not a gas setup. The difference of which would simply include a vacuum pump. Nothing more nothing less. I was not now nor was I previously indicating that the vacuum pump would make a difference on bleeding the system, however the OP was complaining that his pedal would go to the floor even after multiple bleeding sessions. Like I previously posted, I wasn't sure if the fact that the vacuum pump may be weak would allow the pedal to go to the floor and was leaving it open for someone with more expertise in the diesel area to either confirm or deny whether or not that is the case.
...it been a "perplexer" hasn't it...redzone...

Quick Reply: Stumped by Brakes