2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stumped by Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:09 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am at a loss here. I would have imagined that when putting pressure on the line that the joint would try to push apart causing a leak and then when pressure was released slip back toward eachother so to speak.

Vinnie if you are trying to use a vacuum bleeder on the the individual brake bleeder and it is holding pressure for that long of a period of time then the line isn't open to the system at either the abs block or the metering block.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:59 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the brake line above the gas tank! LOL

Old 06-06-2009, 05:31 AM
vinnie5604

The line along the tank is brand new..LOL

Old 06-06-2009, 09:39 PM
KY2500
Rookie

Originally Posted by speeddemon31176
Well I am at a loss here. I would have imagined that when putting pressure on the line that the joint would try to push apart causing a leak and then when pressure was released slip back toward eachother so to speak.

Vinnie if you are trying to use a vacuum bleeder on the the individual brake bleeder and it is holding pressure for that long of a period of time then the line isn't open to the system at either the abs block or the metering block.

Just look at a diagram of a fitting on google to see how they fit together, DIN and SAE double inverted. Here's a hint: when you pressurize the line the dome, so to speak expands ie. swells to make a tigher fit, ala no leak. Now a DIN flare is not compatable with the other. I only suspected this because he said he bought the parts aftermarket and they very well could be off, plus he has tried everything else logical.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:12 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Your right there KY2500. I was apparently misunderstanding what you were trying to convey. I am up to speed with what you mean now. I am having issues with my own truck and apparently my brain isn't working at full tilt. I thought you were saying that maybe his fittins weren't tight and causing the air leak but you were refering to incorrect flaring on the ends. My mistake. Sorry about that. I don't know about you but I am at a loss at this point. the only things left that could be wrong at this point is that either like you said the flares are incorrect or the tools you have to have to hold open the valves are needed. I talked to a buddy of mine from a Dodge dealer who said that If you have replaced the master cylinder and air has been allowed to enter the abs and metering valves you have to use "brake valve" tools which look like little clips to hold the valve centered so that you can bleed the air out of the system. I would go over each and every new flare or fitting that you have introduced into the system and then get the correct tools(which are like ten bucks from the dealer) and then bleed the system thoroughly again and you will be amazed. You also need to have the key in the run position but don't have to have the truck running so that the abs system can cycle to help bleed out the air while bleeding the system. Hope some of this helps.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:20 PM
vinnie5604

Well I just got my truck back from a garage down the street...What he claims is that the vacuum pump is weak, not producing enough vacuum for the booster...And he claims thats why the pedal is fading while the truck is running...Any feedback before I drop another 400.00 on a vacuum pump

Old 06-10-2009, 05:03 PM
JackJ
Captain

Originally Posted by KY2500
I must admit I only skimmed this thread so pardon me if you tried this already. You say you changed out all the lines and hoses I assume you flared them yourself. I know that a few lines under the hood are DIN flares and not SAE double flares. Some have a DIN flare on one end and a SAE Double on the other. Using the wrong flare will cause air to get in. Also the pressure bleeder is a good idea to get the air out of the master but you don't need to pump it up much. The cap will probably leak a little reguardless beacause it not a threaded kind, but just wrap a towel around it. Bleed the RR first with a tube submerged it a container. Start the truck, crack the bleed screw loose and tell your assistant to keep on pumping till the air bubbles stop. Proceed with the rest.

Who ever showed you how to bleed brakes lied to you, If you keep on pumping like that you will suck air back in, and you also aint really moving that much fluid because every time you release with the tbe in the jar ally ou are doing is sucking the fluid back in that you just squirted out.

The correct way you do it is have you friend pump a certain amount of times I always pump 3 time hold the pedal while other dude craks the screw and I would hold the pedal to the floor untill the the bleed screw is tight again.

You can buy some speed bleeders to replace your stock bleeder screws and you can do this yourself, I got them for my Jeep as I have a leak in the system that only shows its face after it has sat for awhile and they work wonders.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:10 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Dude? Did you ever post any info in this thread about your truck? I don't know if it would have helped or not, but you need to do it. Does any 94 and up gassers have a vacuum pump, (I could be wrong but don't think so). So it must be a diesel, and there is a diesel section here that have people that might not read this section.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:13 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by JackJ
Who ever showed you how to bleed brakes lied to you, If you keep on pumping like that you will suck air back in, and you also aint really moving that much fluid because every time you release with the tbe in the jar ally ou are doing is sucking the fluid back in that you just squirted out.

The correct way you do it is have you friend pump a certain amount of times I always pump 3 time hold the pedal while other dude craks the screw and I would hold the pedal to the floor untill the the bleed screw is tight again.

You can buy some speed bleeders to replace your stock bleeder screws and you can do this yourself, I got them for my Jeep as I have a leak in the system that only shows its face after it has sat for awhile and they work wonders.

You can do it that way if you submerge the hose in fluid. Doesn't matter if fluid goes back in the hose.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:39 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

I thought the same thing as you Zman. He has to have a diesel. There are no vacuum pumps on gas setups. If in fact his truck is a diesel then yes the vacuum pump could be weak but I am not too familiar with how the cummins is setup.

Quick Reply: Stumped by Brakes