2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine
Print Wikipost

The $30 DIY Oil Change.............Flame On!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:58 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Post The $30 DIY Oil Change

Now before I start this, I know I'm going to get flamed for doing a DIY for a oil change because it IS the simplest maintnance you can do to your truck. The reason I am doing this is because I know that there will be some teenage noob who has never done an oil change and would like to know how.....

Tools you will need:
Name:  001-2.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  62.5 KB
Drain pan
Filter Wrenches
Funnel
5/8'' wratchet (For some reason mine is a 16mm, Check yours)
Breaker bar
Cardboard or creeper

Supplies:

5 Quarts of 10W-30 oil (5W-30 for winter)
Oil Filter-Cross refrence for the big filter:
K&N: HP-3001
Napa Gold: 1515
WIX: 51515
Motorcraft: FL-1A
Mobil 1 Extended Performance: M-301
Purolator Premium Plus/Classic: L30001
Purolator PureONE: PL30001
Amsoil: EAO15
Baldwin: B2
Bosch: 3500 or 72102
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...#manufacturers
Buy your oil at Walmart. That Valvoline was $21.

Procedure:
Before starting, let the motor run for 5-10 mins. to warm the oil up. Warm oil flows faster than cold oil and carries more sludge with it.

1. Get your fat *** under the truck (2WDs may need to jack up) with a 5/8'' Wrench, drain pan, and breaker bar (drain plug can be tight!). Find the oil pan and drain plug. Using the ratchet and breaker bar, loosen the drain plug and remove it. Let the oil drain until the flow of oil slows to s slow dribble.

2. After the oil is done draining, wipe down the oil pan and drain plug and re-install the plug with the 16mm wrench.

3. Now it is time to remove the oil filter. The oil filter is on the Passenger side of the engine block, under the exhaust manifold. Take your drain pan and put it under where the oil filter is. Loosen the oil filter and drain the remaining oil into the pan. Discard filter.

4. Now take the new oil filter and put a light coating of new oil around the gasket of the filter. THen fill the filter halfways with oil.
Name:  010-1.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  77.2 KB

5. Install the new filter on hand tight and then tighten it 3/4 turn.

6. Now it is time to pour the new oil in. Take off the oil cap, stick a funnel in, and slowly pour 5Quarts of oil into the motor. Screw the cap back in.

7. Take a few minutes and clean up and put your tools up.
8. Go for a test drive to make sure it is running right, oil psi is good, and to take the used oil to a AutoZone, Walmart T&LE, or recycling center.
9. Check oil level when you get home.
10. WRITE IT DOWN!!!!! The only wa to properly keep your truck maintained is to keep a record of the work that is done on it. I keep a clipboard with the Maintnance records of Purpl and the POS-10 in my garage to remind me of what needs to get done.
11. Rotate tires, lubricate steering joints, and check all fluid levels......

-Nathan Kent "PurplDodge"

Last edited by PurplDodge; 12-27-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:06 PM
hutch1973
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

11. Rotate tires, lubricate steering joints, and check all fluid levels......

-Nathan Kent "PurplDodge"[/LEFT]
Gonna go out on a limb here, and say if they need a DIY on an oil change, they won't be able to do step 11.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:10 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

That one is somewhat self-explanitory.....

Anyway this was DIY for an oil change, Not "Full Service" oil change..

Old 05-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that this isn't a bad DIY to post. I have a few suggestions to add though.

-Not sure if 16mm is universal for the drain plug. Mine is 5/8".

-Let the truck run for several minutes to get the oil warm first. Then shut it off and let it drain into the pan for about 15-20 minutes. Then open the drain plug. This will allow the oil to run out much better then cold oil, and you only need to let it drain until it stops coming out (15 minutes is about normal for me), not 1 hour.

-Clean up the area where the old filter unscrewed from before putting the new filter on. And always make sure that the rubber gasket from the old oil filter is not stuck to the side of the engine before you install the new filter. This is very important and happens more then you would probably think.

-When you are checking the oil level after you get home, make sure to cheeck for any leaks around the filter and drain plug (to make sure you really did get everything tight enough).

Old 05-19-2009, 09:17 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Thanks SIlver, Those things never crossed my mind when I did the DIY, but I always do that when I chang the oil.

IDK why but my drain plug came off perfectly with a 12 point 16mm. I tried a 5/8 and a 15mm and there was a small amount of play in the socket.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:26 PM
Acapalic
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good write up but just a suggestion maybe, When i change my oil , I always before going for that test drive, start the truck and run it while looking underneith for leaks, Cause i wouldnt want to find out my filter was leaking after a test drive. Also i check my oil level after its ran , because it takes the oil pressure to build up to fill the filter.

Along with silver , it never takes 1hour to drain , It takes about 5 for all the old stuff to drain out before it dribbles , and then as a flush i pour 1-2 quarts of new stuff as spare into motor with drain plug out, it gets rid of the gunk from the bottom of the pan , and pushes the old oil out with it, once i see that has been done draining , i put in the Drain plug. But sorry to Make a comment , it is a nice write up , and is nice for the people that just have no clue. +1

Old 05-19-2009, 09:32 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Edited.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:39 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought we had this DIY with the DIY Lance posted...maybe it disappeared.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:42 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
I thought we had this DIY with the DIY Lance posted...maybe it disappeared.
Must have.....Who could have done it????

Old 05-19-2009, 10:30 PM
MAJohns
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nicely done. i know everyone does things differant i always fill the filter before i install it, unless its on a vehicle that the filter is sidways or upside down. but very good and easily understood! +1