2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Putting on 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:48 PM
lb79theone
Record Breaker
Location: Maine! ( GET A HOLD OF ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ME ON FACEBOOK.COM, AND CARDOMAIN.COM)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Putting on 4x4

I have my truck with the floor shifter for wheel drive. How do I put it in 4x4 low? In park or in neutral?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Or how is supposed to work anyway, lol.

Brendon.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:50 PM
audiomechanic
Captain

To go into 4X4 low, get rolling about 2MPH, shift the column shifter into N and then in one smooth motion, throw the 4X4 shifter straight back into low. Don't stop the floor lever in Neutral, just go straight back. Then shift the column shifter back into D (or 1,2,R whatever you were going to use...be sure to stop completely for R though ).

Old 06-09-2009, 09:51 PM
ripto
Captain

For 4L I always put the truck in neutral and make sure I'm moving a little, then shift it into 4L. Same to get out I put the truck in neutral and shift out.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The easiest way to do it without hearing any unpleasant grinding noise is to put your truck in neutral and shut the engine off. Shift it down in to 4-lo and start the truck.
You can do it the way mentioned above to but if you slip up your truck will make a noise that sounds much like the world ending.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:54 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I do it stopped, and in neutral. Sometimes I will do what I said, and turn the key off to kill the engine. It is supposed to be one complete motion to put it in 4lo (not stopping in neutral on transfer case) but since I don't put it in 4x4 that often, I find it a tad difficult to get it in the first time sometimes. Turning the key off helps eliminate any gear clash if you can't get it to engauge fully when you do it. I've never heard gear clash in my truck, but I know others have. Ever since I heard that, I just turn the truck off before I move it.

- - EDIT lol wow three people before I could sneak mine in... (im a slow poster)

Old 06-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

EDIT: DAMN! two people beat me to it this time...... Cereal you sir are on a roll doing that to me today.....

Slowly rolling with the tranny in neutral seems to be the most accepted method, but it doesn't work for everyone.
On my truck, I can shift into 4Lo at a slow roll, but to get out, I have to turn the truck off and shift while it isn't running.

Also, when going into 4hi, that can be done at any speed up to 55MPH, but make sure you are moving, or it may not kick in. (That's just a bonus)

Old 06-09-2009, 09:58 PM
JackJ
Captain

With mine, I got rock the truck a bit from R to D then to N to get it to pop into 4wd, after that it is fairly easy to go between high and low. Bit of a pain in the *** but I have learned to leave well enough alone.

I have never tried it while driving as i have alwys been under the impression as this is not the best thing to do, plus I always put my vehicles into 4wd if there is even a chance that I may need it before I get to where ever I am going.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:03 PM
willstruck
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought you had to come to a complete stop to go into 4lo. I also thought that you were supposed to pause with it in N on the T-case.

By the way, is there a 4lo light next to the 4x4 light that turns on? Mine doesn't have a 4lo indicator...

Old 06-09-2009, 10:05 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by willstruck
I always thought you had to come to a complete stop to go into 4lo. I also thought that you were supposed to pause with it in N on the T-case.

By the way, is there a 4lo light next to the 4x4 light that turns on? Mine doesn't have a 4lo indicator...
Im pretty sure it says part time 4wd for both high and low ranges. But to be honest I can't say I have ever really taken time time to look.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 97 doesn't, it just has a little yellow 4X4 light and that's all. I mean why would you need one? it's pretty easy to tell.

Quick Reply: Putting on 4x4