2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hell Bent leveling kit installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speeddemon31176
Miami, that looks really sharp. It give it the aggressive look it should have. I have to bust on ya though. You didn't use the locks on those spring compressors. Tisk tisk...jk.
I had to take them off, the diameter of the coils is larger than what the locks could accommodate. I threw a mat over the spring while I was tightening the compressor in case something went awry.

As for my truck being dirty, I was out in the desert riding moto over the weekend and new I was going to be doing this today and would probably get my grimy hands all over her. Tomorrow is bath day. Tires are 265s. Soon as they wear out I'm going for 33s. Can't raise her any more because it's already hard enough to roll my bikes in the back as it is.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:30 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I knew that the locks wouldn't fit. I have a set of those somewhere in the garage. I got super lucky at Carlisle a few years ago and picked up a Branick wall mount for struts for 150.00. The spring compressor for our types of springs goes up through the middle where the shocks sit. good thinking on the rubber mat though. taking a spring to the chin would not be much fun at all. Once again though it looks really nice.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:37 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

yea, i had to use a spring compressor for some 4 inch lift spring on a Jeep Comanche, couldn't use the locks, and on top of the 4 inchers, was a set of 2 inch spacers, that Jeep belongs to a friend of mine, and its a riot to drive through town

Old 06-16-2009, 01:56 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by 95MaroonMonster
i like mine where it is, b/c when i load it, it sits nice and level
I saw you had the hellwig's and the 2" level. I was gonna shoot you a pm to ask you how you like them but ended up picking up a set of coil over shocks and threw them in the rear this afternoon. It put a little rake back into the truck but im sure once they get used and abused over the next couple months they will settle down a bit.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:49 AM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to have it aligned unless you want to buy new tires. Adding 2" will change your toe. You have a solid front axle so you are not able to adjust camber and caster, but you caster angle will have also changed as well.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

You obviously don't know much about these front ends. Toe is the last thing that would be changed by this mod.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:22 PM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
You obviously don't know much about these front ends. Toe is the last thing that would be changed by this mod.
You obviously failed geometry class. Good luck with that outside edgewear. BTW, if 'it feels ok' was a real alignment check then no one would ever need an alignment.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Please elaborate on how toe would change from a mod that is above the springs? The bar that controls toe is fixed. It does not change as the suspension cycles through its travel. I'll wait.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Miami

This is the same dumbass who neglected to read the first 9 pages of the rediculously long CIA thread where we explained why CAIs have no benefits over the 14x3 on these trucks, and posts "Good luck sucking in hot air" or some stupid **** like that.

And you can still change the caster on a fixed axel by rotating the cam bolts on the axel end of the lower control arms. It's only the chamber you can't change on a fixed axel.

Miami, your toe may be out some since lifting it raised the drag link a little bit and that raises the tierod. At least I know it does when you replace springs, with spacers I'm not really sure. It may be worth checking out though.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by Cereal Killer
Miami, your toe may be out some since lifting it raised the drag link a little bit and that raises the tierod. At least I know it does when you replace springs, with spacers I'm not really sure. It may be worth checking out though.
Yeah, I know. The thing is that a 2" kit on a 10 year old truck basically nets you about a 1-1/4" lift when you factor in the sag. I just had the alignment done 3 weeks ago, so I'm not too worried. Toe is the one suspension setting where there is the most flexibility and this small amount of lift isn't likely to upset things enough to matter.

Seems to be a lot of guys in here who parrot things they read on the internet instead of having any real hands-on experience.

Last edited by Miami_Son; 06-16-2009 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Hell Bent leveling kit installed