2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fair prices for Repairs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 11:49 AM
justneed2
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fair prices for Repairs?

99 Ram 1500 4x4 w/ 5.2L

Normally I would fix these things myself, but I am working 2 jobs and just flat out don't have the time to do it. And since this is my only vehicle, I need to get back up and running quickly. I was wondering if the prices I was quoted were fair for the repairs listed below.

Rear Drums:
Wheel Cylinders, Shoes, Drums + Misc. parts (both sides)
$405 parts and labor

Front Axle U-Joints, ones on outer wheel assembly
$450 parts & labor

Trac-bar install, I have the part been meaning to install for the past 2 months
$70 for install

Shocks all 4 corners
$390 parts and labor

I always get nervous about going to shops.... especially since I have an idea of what it takes to fix these things. Anyone have any honest thoughts on the prices there quoting.

Thanks!

Old 06-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by justneed2
99 Ram 1500 4x4 w/ 5.2L

Normally I would fix these things myself, but I am working 2 jobs and just flat out don't have the time to do it. And since this is my only vehicle, I need to get back up and running quickly. I was wondering if the prices I was quoted were fair for the repairs listed below.

Rear Drums:
Wheel Cylinders, Shoes, Drums + Misc. parts (both sides)
$405 parts and labor
Mmmm, not versed in 4WD, but brakes are fairly simple. Why are you replacing the wheel cylinders? Leaking? Why not set aside about 3 hours on a weekend and do them yourself and save money?

Front Axle U-Joints, ones on outer wheel assembly
$450 parts & labor
Again, with owning a 4x4 comes high dollar repair bills. This could be about right.

Trac-bar install, I have the part been meaning to install for the past 2 months
$70 for install
Probably another Saturday project. That's beer money right there.

Shocks all 4 corners
$390 parts and labor
I believe this would be considered First Degree Rape. If you agree to this, bring some **** Lube so the reaming doesn't hurt that bad.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:11 PM
justneed2
Rookie

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Mmmm, not versed in 4WD, but brakes are fairly simple. Why are you replacing the wheel cylinders? Leaking? Why not set aside about 3 hours on a weekend and do them yourself and save money?
Pass side cylinder blew, brake fluid everywhere. If I have to replace that one, I'll replace both.

Again, with owning a 4x4 comes high dollar repair bills. This could be about right.
Yeah I could see the u-joints taking 4 hours by the time you pull it all apart and put it back together...

Probably another Saturday project. That's beer money right there.
The trac bar I can certainly do, just one of those things... if its in the shop already. And like I said, I am working 2 jobs.... free time is very slim these days.

I believe this would be considered First Degree Rape. If you agree to this, bring some **** Lube so the reaming doesn't hurt that bad.
Yeah the shocks I thought may be high... depends on the shocks though, they run from $40-$65 for mid grade shocks x 4 plus 1-2 hrs labor... it gets you in the neighborhood.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:18 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You can go and buy some really good Bilistein shocks for $260. Get those and install them yourself. I did mine in half a day.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly, do the work yourself. The brakes are the most important, so spend a Saturday doing them. Perhaps something different each weekend and save the major work to be farmed out.

The goal is more beer money -- at least it is in my book.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:53 PM
justneed2
Rookie

I don't disagree about doing the work myself, I've tackled tougher jobs. Last round of repairs I did front bearings, tie rods, a/c comp., a/c evap, heater core, front brakes, etc...

Right now I just don't have the time, or the luxury of my truck being down for days on end if I hit a snag.

So... back to the question at hand, are the prices ok?

Old 06-17-2009, 12:56 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, except for the shocks.

I think shops always try to rape people on shocks. I once got a quote for 4 new struts on a 1999 Yota Camry: $850.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:02 PM
justneed2
Rookie

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Yes, except for the shocks.

I think shops always try to rape people on shocks. I once got a quote for 4 new struts on a 1999 Yota Camry: $850.
OUCH! that hurts more than the quote I got!!!

thanks for the input.... I think I agree with you on the shocks being a bit high. I just priced them out more thoroughly... definitely seems padded.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:15 PM
justneed2
Rookie

Just a thanks for your help/insight guys.

After haggling a little they came down to $270 for the shocks installed. Same shocks and everything.... I knew they were high.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:35 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

shocks cost about $120, i'd say another $120 to install. total=$240.

rear drum brakes are too high. its very unlikely you need new drums. even if you do, they're probably not more than $50 ea. so $50-150 for parts and another $100 for labor. total = $100-250.

track bar ok.

front axle u-joints. maybe a little high, but this is a pretty expensive job, probably close to 4 hrs labor. do this - get it in writing whether your front axle seals are, or are not leaking. also get in writing that they guarantee for 1 year that your seals won't leak. also get in writing that if they do - they will replace the seals at no cost to you. mechanics in a hurry will damage these seals 9 out of 10 times. the repair cost is another $400-500. they will likely not give you this in writing, or, if they do, they plan on screwing you over down the line. a written guarantee gives you a chance of holding them to it.

Quick Reply: Fair prices for Repairs?