2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Read trouble codes without code reader?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 11:38 PM
RowdyCowboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reading

Originally Posted by Maxx_Magnum
My buddy, who is a member here, discovered yesterday that he can get the codes off his 01 2500 without using a reader/scanner. Cycle key off and on 3 times and it shows the codes in the odometer display. I find this very cool and useful, kinda like the old obd1 where ya could use a paperclip to make it flash the codes out on the CEL. Never knew it could be done like this til now.

Problem is, it doesn't work with my 98
Is there another way or some other sequence to do this with my truck?
yes, push and hold the odometer reset button and hold it in and turn the key on. (Dont start the truck) Then release the odometer reset button and the digital display with read the codes to you...

Old 08-17-2023, 11:40 PM
RowdyCowboy
Default Wr

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Key dance doesn't work on 98 and newer trucks. Pushing the trip reset while turning the ignition on does a cluster test, and will give cluster codes, not powertrain codes.
wrong, my 2000 2500 gives cluster codes AND any power train codes.

Old 08-18-2023, 07:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by RowdyCowboy
wrong, my 2000 2500 gives cluster codes AND any power train codes.
Pardon me for doubting you, but, never had a cluster give me powertrain codes doing a cluster test.

Old 07-26-2024, 11:01 AM
Stacy Wright
Default 1998 5.9 V8 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie.

Well it's not showing error codes, but then again I don't think I have any.
But I can get the odometer dash cluster to run a check. It didn't work the way I read it (unless I missed something)
But it did work this way -

Truck is off, slide the key in, push in and hold the odometer button, turn the key 2 clicks to what would be the run or on position, continue to hold the odometer button in until it shows "check" in the odometer window this whole process is silent and no tones Will be heard, now release it. Mine did not show any issue and everything lit up as normal. As soon as you release it the truck will start the missed audio tones you normally hear when you turn the key forward. I hope this helps someone.

Quick Reply: Read trouble codes without code reader?