2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

water/methane injection

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:38 PM
scjeep4.7HO
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It al depends on the setup and the size of your nozzle. I have used the biggest one in my kit before and with it coming on around 4 PSI of boost it does not last long. I have a 2 QT resevoir. I think my big nozze is 675ml/m i believe.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:11 AM
mikey0469
Veteran

Originally Posted by scjeep4.7HO
It al depends on the setup and the size of your nozzle. I have used the biggest one in my kit before and with it coming on around 4 PSI of boost it does not last long. I have a 2 QT resevoir. I think my big nozze is 675ml/m i believe.
do you run it regularly? or do you use it when you want a power boost? about how many miles do you get with your setup? sorry for all the ?s

Old 07-30-2009, 02:25 AM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Richie (scjeep4.7HO) is running a standard meth set up based off boost psi using a nozzle. I'm running a split second computer controlled system using methanol racing injectors. A tank usually last me about two weeks but it really depends on how hard I drive.

Last edited by Blown287; 07-30-2009 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:46 PM
bondslayer
Professional

Meth injection is more reliable than running an intercooler. You figure with a boosted application, you add 10 degrees of heat per lb of boost on top of the outside air. If it's 90 degrees out, and your running 10lbs of boost, your intake air is 180. Meth will place a port or injector right above the throttle blade or right in the air hat. The way it works, when it's under pressure at a certain psi, it turns into a mist, and the hot air evaporates the meth and instantly cools the intake charge, BEFORE it gets into the throttle blades. It's common sense, in cooler temperatures, your truck will have better gas milage. Yes you can run meth on a NA motor, it's effective in higher outside temps, but for boosted applications, it's amazing. You will net better MPG, you will net more power, you can run a higher boost number simply because your intake charge is less, and you are eliminating the chance of detonation which will destroy a boosted motor.

You can find some brand of windshield wiper fluid that are 30% meth, which you can run in your tank. You can buy platforms which will instantly kill the motor if under boost and your meth pump fails, thus saving your motor.
The way I ran it, use the windshield wiper tank, as it already has a "low" light indicator on the dash.

The way you used to program these kits was based off of either map voltage or boost pressure, and that determined when the pump was activated, and how much psi the pump ran. Now days, you can get a digital gauge, and are able to read the psi being spray and at what boost level or map voltage and adjust it on the fly.

On the trucks with a 2 bar map sensor, 2.5 volts and above is "in boost". I have mine set at 3.5 volts to activate, the same as my fuel pump is wired to go into full spin.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:54 AM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so do you only use a kit if you are boosting a engine

Old 08-10-2009, 08:41 PM
bondslayer
Professional

I honestly wouldn't use both, i'm sure you could. Sd-concepts.com has a meth kit which used a pressurized tank vs. a electrical tank for the people that are worried about pump failure under hard boost. Then again, you need to make sure your tank is under pressure before you use it :P

Old 08-10-2009, 09:49 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so what would this do on a almost stock engine would it be worth the money for me to get one

Old 08-10-2009, 10:21 PM
bondslayer
Professional

without a power adder, it isn't worth doing or adding. A cold air intake, is the option for a NA motor, with a boosted motor, this meth injection or intercooling is a CIA on steroids.
If your NA, a cold air intake is going to be your meth injection or your intercooler.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:29 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

water/methanol injection is very popular with diesel guys, the reason being 2 fold, the methanol is burned, increasing performance, and the water helps to cool the cylinders, very very helpful when pushing copious amounts of fuel into the engine, or towing, where EGTs are naturally higher due to load...tractor pullers use straight water injection to keep their engines from melting, and as a helluva power boost, along with up to 4 turbos
but thats diesel tech

as far as gas engines go...listen to Blown

Old 08-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 95MaroonMonster
listen to Blown
Thank you Sir. The vote of confidence is much appreciated. When I decided I wanted a computer controlled alcohol injection system using alcohol racing injectors, there really wan't anyone to turn to on that, lol.

Quick Reply: water/methane injection