2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cross threaded oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:13 PM
96rumbledodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now are you talking about between the block and the filter of does the filter and the block meet up in those holes
i hope you talking about between the block and the filter

Old 07-29-2009, 08:17 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

notch the rim of the filter where it meets the block. out on the edge, then carve your way inwards toward the holes.

do not scar the block !!

Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 PM
96rumbledodge
Veteran

what do i do once im past the holes?
this is gonna take a while with a chissle i bet?

Old 07-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Eddielx
Professional

I found this on a search The guy had the same problem..

"After all the drama I went and bought a new pair of good needle nose and went home. While waiting for the friend to bring the tool he made over I decided to try once more and stuck the needle nose up in the whole and into the slots and used my breaker bar between the handles. The last piece spun right out with ease. I believe this is because the bike was cold and sitting in the shade of my garage compared to hot when it stuck. Anyway after all the drama the threads and all were perfect and the new filter spun on with ease and only got a half turn after finger tight and the bike is back on the road. Thanks everyone for the advise and in the end patience and time were the keys"

Old 07-29-2009, 08:43 PM
96rumbledodge
Veteran

not to sure how that would work so i would put one nose of the pliyers in one hole then the other nose it the next hole put my bar on one handle and push to the left?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

OK, lets do some fine surgery here. Get out your Dremel tool and put a small cutting wheel on it. slowly cut away anything you don't want. Easy and precise, no change of damaging your block.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you do the dremel route then make sure you use goggles and not just safety glasses. every time i've been to the eye doc it was because i got a piece of metal lodged in my eye from wearing glasses and grinding. and make sure you have both hands on the dremel with it on a low speed so it won't walk off the filter and rip into the block or a wire or something. if you put multiple cuts on the edge of the filter where it meets the block then it will relieve the pressure and you should be able to pry it off with a flat head pretty easy. also keep in mind that if you go too deep that you'll be throwing grinding dust into the oil ports on the block and that wouldn't be too good.

also, lets get a picture of this mangled filter on here.

Quick Reply: cross threaded oil filter