2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie here w/ some questions..

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 03:55 PM
99_ramsport
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick update. I have purcahsed the front o2 NTK sensor, pcv valve, iac, and the bypass hose.

Truck goes into my buddys shop 2morow to test the plenum gasket and a look over the rest of the truck...

Old 08-13-2009, 10:30 PM
99_ramsport
Rookie

well was on a job today, turned the truck off then tried turning it back on and it wouldn't turn over.... checked the battery and it wouldn't take a jump.... its was the original oem battery... can't wait to get caught up on the little things w/ the truck...

Old 08-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

If the OEM battery lasted 10 years consider yourself VERY lucky. My OEM lasted me a whole 3 years.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:39 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 99_ramsport
Truck goes into my buddys shop 2morow to test the plenum gasket and a look over the rest of the truck...
Even the test, outlined by Chrysler, for a blown plenum gasket can still sometimes be false. Many times on this forum I've seen guys test their intake and the test said they didn't have a leak, but when they took off the manifold, they found oil all over.

The only right way to test is to take off the air cleaner assembly, take a flashlight, and shine it down into the manifold. The bottom should be a silver metallic-ish steel color. Any oil on the bottom, at all, is bad. Most people find pools.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:52 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my oem was still good at 6 years but i took it out because the cranking amps were too low for me.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:10 AM
99_ramsport
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
my oem was still good at 6 years but i took it out because the cranking amps were too low for me.
I couldn't belive it lasted that long either... It was cranking fine, but after turning it off it was dead as dirt.

Even the test, outlined by Chrysler, for a blown plenum gasket can still sometimes be false. Many times on this forum I've seen guys test their intake and the test said they didn't have a leak, but when they took off the manifold, they found oil all over.

The only right way to test is to take off the air cleaner assembly, take a flashlight, and shine it down into the manifold. The bottom should be a silver metallic-ish steel color. Any oil on the bottom, at all, is bad. Most people find pools.
Him and i are both pretty sure its the plenum gasket. Previous owner said it consumed about 1qt every 300-400miles but no smoke or visible oil leaking. The main reason for the shop visit was just a overall all around check up of the truck..

Old 08-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jasonw

Not to argue with you Jason, but even with a good plenum, shouldn't there be a little oil build up around ithe inside of the plenum? Not pooling mind you, but you can pull oil in through the PCV valve and that will create some darkening of the inside of the plenum walls and plate over years. My point is I guess it would break down to amount of oil, not just the simple presence of oil.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:28 PM
99_ramsport
Rookie

Newest update... So the shop just called and I will read down the list... its not too bad..

1.) #8 cyl misfire for the fouled out spark plug( oil coated)
2.) plenum gasket blown( already assumed that)
3.) left side ball joint loose
4.) pitman arm is loose
5.) Needs new front calipers
6.) Rear diff just needs serviced
7.) trans will be drained then new filter and fluids
8.) full tune up
9.) new rear "right" wheel cylinder

Last edited by 99_ramsport; 08-14-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:40 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cool should run like a champ

Old 08-14-2009, 11:27 PM
99_ramsport
Rookie

How do i find out which number my trans. is? I need to order a trans. pan gasket?

1.) #8 cyl misfire for the fouled out spark plug( oil coated)
2.) plenum gasket blown( already assumed that)
3.) left side ball joint loose
4.) pitman arm is loose
5.) Needs new front calipers
6.) Rear diff just needs serviced
7.) trans will be drained then new filter and fluids
8.) full tune up
9.) new rear "right" wheel cylinder

Listed above was the list of what was wrong w/ the truck. Replacement parts will be....

Front Rotors- Powerstop slotted
Front Pads- Powerstop extreme truck and tow pads
Rear wheel cylinders- Raybestos from Rockauto along w/ the new harware kit
New front calipers- Bendix loaded set from Rockauto
Rear shoes- undecided.. help please

opinions wanted b/c i'mnew to the "ram" world... Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Newbie here w/ some questions..