2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie here w/ some questions..

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:02 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99_ramsport
Rear wheel cylinders- Raybestos from Rockauto along w/ the new harware kit

opinions wanted b/c i'mnew to the "ram" world... Thanks!!
If your gonna do the wheel cylinders, switch them to the raybestos part # wc37337. There cylinders for a 1 ton truck and will make your truck stop a lot quicker. do a search to find out more about it.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:25 AM
99_ramsport
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J415
If your gonna do the wheel cylinders, switch them to the raybestos part # wc37337. There cylinders for a 1 ton truck and will make your truck stop a lot quicker. do a search to find out more about it.
Have you done this? I have the 1500 and read mixed reviews about it. Alot of the posts were old would like to hear from other 1500 owners that have done this and how it work out?

Old 08-15-2009, 02:56 AM
Trey318
Captain

I did it, and it works great. It was a very noticeable difference.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

are the Powerstop extreme truck and tow pads ceramic? if they are then i suggest you don't get them. ceramic pads are great in theory, no metal= less brake dust, higher heat resistance= longer lasting. but without metal in the pads you loose some of the friction needed to stop the truck efficiently. i ran a set of frictionmaster ceramic pads and they were worn down after a year then i replaced them with the same pads and after about a year they weren't stopping my truck like i thought they should even though they were still really thick. i switched to the mid range wearever pads and it stops pretty good now.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:43 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen
Not to argue with you Jason, but even with a good plenum, shouldn't there be a little oil build up around ithe inside of the plenum? Not pooling mind you, but you can pull oil in through the PCV valve and that will create some darkening of the inside of the plenum walls and plate over years. My point is I guess it would break down to amount of oil, not just the simple presence of oil.
A light darkening is fine, but thats all mine looked like, until it was cracked open and I found that I had half a quart pooling at all the edges where I couldn't see very well from through the TB.

I guess, basically, as long as you fix it once (because it is blown if you haven't fixed it yet) with either an APS or Hughes kit and Felpro (or equivalent) gasket, you should be good forever.

Originally Posted by 99_ramsport
How do i find out which number my trans. is?
For Ram 1500s:
If you have a 3.9L V6 2WD, you have a 42RE (also known as A500, automatic) or a NV3500 (manual).
If you have a 3.9L V6 4WD, you have a 46RE (A518) or NV3500.
If you have a 5.2L V8, you have a 46RE (A518) or NV3500.
If you have a 5.9L V8, you have a 46RE (A518).

For Ram 2500s:
If you have a 5.9L V8, you have a 46RE (A518) or NV4500.
If you have the 8.0L V10, you have a 47RE (A618) or NV4500HD.
If you have the Cummins, you have a 47RE (A618) or NV4500HD.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:06 PM
99_ramsport
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
are the Powerstop extreme truck and tow pads ceramic? if they are then i suggest you don't get them. ceramic pads are great in theory, no metal= less brake dust, higher heat resistance= longer lasting. but without metal in the pads you loose some of the friction needed to stop the truck efficiently. i ran a set of frictionmaster ceramic pads and they were worn down after a year then i replaced them with the same pads and after about a year they weren't stopping my truck like i thought they should even though they were still really thick. i switched to the mid range wearever pads and it stops pretty good now.
Its stating they are "metallic". below is pasted from their site.....

Power Stop’s Z36 formula offers enormous brake output for your SUV or truck under full load. The Z36 metallic pad is designed for thermal stability to give you the confidence to stop under severe conditions and prevent rotor warping. Whether you drive in the hills, haul loads or tow trailers, brake safely with Z36. Compared to the competition, Z36 pads have the highest pad bite(coefficient of friction) through the entire pedal pressure range.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:30 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
You have the whole brake pad materials theory backwards. Ceramic pads are known for MORE brake dust than metallic, but stop better. Metallic pads last longer, but don't stop as well.

Lifetime warranty brakes that you always hear advertised are metallic types, and lifetime warranty pads are bad. They don't wear at all, meaning they don't give you as good of friction, meaning they don't stop you the best.

Pads are one of those things you want to wear out eventually. Granted, not after just one year, but a few to several years, yes. It means they are doing their job.

Last edited by jasonw; 08-16-2009 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:51 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw

Lifetime warranty brakes that you always hear advertised are metallic types, and lifetime warranty pads are bad. They don't wear at all, meaning they don't give you as good of friction, meaning they don't stop you the best.
That is a matter of personal opinion. I keep lifetime ads on the front and the rears on my truck, and trust me, they do wear. I go through front pads about every 1 1/2 years. Rears about every 3 years. I haven't noticed a stopping difference between lifetime and a mid range pad. The only real thing I have picked up n is the fact that the lifetimers wear quicker than the others.
Yes, lifetime pads aren't the best thing you can get, but to a poorper like me, they are a good deal to get in on. All of these parts stores assume that you will sell the vehicle before the part actually wears out. Just about any kind of wear and tear part, I will pick up that lifetime deal. I don't mind changing out free parts more often and it's saved me some money along the way. I haven't had to pay for brake pads since I got my ram. Same goes for my alternator. Before I had it beefed up, I went through 4 of them and I only paid for the first one.
Each to their own thoughts, but I'll stick with my liftimers and live with the fact that I have to change things more often.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

^^ Yea, I prefer lifetime parts for the same reason. If I have to replace it at least I prefer not to have to pay for them. The other way you are out the labor and cost each time. BTW Laramie where the heck do you get lifetime anymore? I know around me Kragen, (now Oreillys) stopped honoring the lifetime warranty a few years back. They still have lifetime brakes, but it doesn't cover wear and tear, just defects. That's a BS warranty as far as I am concerned.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where I live is also the home of Oreily's. They are still booming here, and their main office is here. Even if I buy a part that doesn't have lifetime on it, I know a guy that can make it that way. I've said it before, but I don't even walk into the front door of any of the Os around here. I know everyone very well and I just walk in the back and get the parts that I need.

Quick Reply: Newbie here w/ some questions..