2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie here w/ some questions..

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:39 PM
99_ramsport
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here w/ some questions..

Hello all!! Newbie here w/ a 1999 ram sport 1500 5.9L 2wd. It has 111k on the dial. I just picked it up and have done some research on here(very helpful site) and just want to get your opinions on somethings...

A.) Previous owners says it burns oil but there is no smoke or oil leaks!! So i'm guesing its the plenum gasket.

B.) When i first start the truck it has a rough idle, if i let it sit and warm up the idle fixes itself. IAC or o2 sensor b4 the cat? Should i replace both which i plan on doing...

C.) He said he changed the plugs and wires/cap 3k miles ago but nothing else had been replaced(engine related). Anything i should look for?

D.) I have no CEL's....

My plans..

replace the plenum gasket(hughes kit)
pcv valve(purchased)
iac sensor(purchased)
180 thermostat
new bypass hose(purchased)
clean tb ( i tow a 6x12 trailer for lawncare should i upgrade to the 50mm or just stay stock?)
Oil & trans. new fluids
Coolant flush
NTK 23151 o2 sensor(purchased)

Last edited by 99_ramsport; 08-13-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:56 PM
97black_ram
Captain

Your on the right track for everything listed.

For towing stick with stock TB and get a trans. cooler if you dont already have one and turn off O/D

Otherwise what you posted is a good start and Welcome to DF.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:57 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all sounds good,,,,,,,,,,,, but i would try cleaning the iac before buying a new one,, and if that does work then get a new one

it free to clean

and the tb goes... also free to try is you have the tools..it works out to be 50mm
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...or-man-tb.html

work luck and welcome to DF

Old 08-12-2009, 04:14 PM
99_ramsport
Rookie

Originally Posted by dodgeram07
all sounds good,,,,,,,,,,,, but i would try cleaning the iac before buying a new one,, and if that does work then get a new one

it free to clean

and the tb goes... also free to try is you have the tools..it works out to be 50mm
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...or-man-tb.html

work luck and welcome to DF

I figured w/ 111k on the dial and the previous owner saying he hasn't done anything but oil changes and the minor tune-up I'd just go ahead a replace the IAC w/ a new one. Its already been purchased. Wasn't a bad price $35.00. Tomorrow will buy the PCV valve and the bypass hose for when i do the plenum gasket.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:06 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 99_ramsport
Hello all!! Newbie here w/ a 1999 ram sport 1500 2wd. It has 111k on the dial. I just picked it up and have done some research on here(very helpful site) and just want to get your opinions on somethings...
First of all, THANK YOU for doing research! You have no idea how many newbies come on and ask questions that have been asked a million times. You're OK in my book.

A.) Previous owners says it burns oil but there is no smoke or oil leaks!! So i'm guessing its the plenum gasket.
That'd be my guess as well. If you own a 5.2L or 5.9L Magnum V8, and have not done the plenum repair, you should. The design is bad enough that I'd go so far as to say the stock gasket fails 100% of the time.

B.) When i first start the truck it has a rough idle, if i let it sit and warm up the idle fixes itself. IAC or o2 sensor b4 the cat? Should i replace both which i plan on doing...
Most likely the TPS or IAC that is corrected when the O2 sensor kicks in. The first couple to several minutes, "warm up", is called the "open loop" period. The computer ignores the O2 sensors and goes by a preset fuel/air ratio, while listening to the IAC, TPS, etc. Once the O2 sensor kicks in, it can correct for any bad/partially bad information from the other sensors.

However, at over 110k, I'd replace the O2 sensor anyway. They are only good for usually 60k-75k, and it sounds like the previous owner never did it.

C.) He said he changed the plugs and wires/cap 3k miles ago but nothing else had been replaced(engine related). Anything i should look for?
Just for curiosity's sake, I'd pull one of the plugs to see which ones he used. If he used one of the non-Dodge friendly brands, your mileage/power may not quite be what they could be.

My plans..

replace the plenum gasket(hughes kit)
pcv valve
iac sensor
180 thermostat
new bypass hose
clean tb ( i tow a 6x12 trailer for lawncare should i upgrade to the 50mm or just stay stock?)
Oil & trans. new fluids
The Hughes kit works great. Thats what I have, intake is spotless now, and its been roughly six months since install. My two cents: don't use the gasket that their kit comes with, purchase a Felpro gasket from a local auto store. O'Reillys usually carries them on hand.

I'd not only replace the IAC, I'd replace the pre-cat O2 sensor to. NTK (made by NGK) sensors are good.

I'm going to disagree with 97black_ram. If you plan on getting more upgrades later, I'd do at least the 50mm. If you have the 5.9L V8, and don't plan on keeping the engine stock for long, I'd go and do the 52mm.

Don't do a transmission flush. Just change the fluid.

For engine oil, I prefer synthetic, Mobil 1. More expensive, but you can go 6000 miles plus before another change. Royal Purple is also good, as is Amsoil. Valvoline is reputed to be decent, although I have no personal experience with the company. I am using a Valvoline "High Mileage" synthetic blend in my brother's early '90s Oldsmobile, he's being my guinea pig. It has 120k on it, so we'll see what happens.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:43 PM
99_ramsport
Rookie

[quote]
Originally Posted by jasonw
First of all, THANK YOU for doing research! You have no idea how many newbies come on and ask questions that have been asked a million times. You're OK in my book.
Always best to do your own research before you end up putting you own foot in your mouth!!

That'd be my guess as well. If you own a 5.2L or 5.9L Magnum V8, and have not done the plenum repair, you should. The design is bad enough that I'd go so far as to say the stock gasket fails 100% of the time.

I have the 5.9l V8

Most likely the TPS or IAC that is corrected when the O2 sensor kicks in. The first couple to several minutes, "warm up", is called the "open loop" period. The computer ignores the O2 sensors and goes by a preset fuel/air ratio, while listening to the IAC, TPS, etc. Once the O2 sensor kicks in, it can correct for any bad/partially bad information from the other sensors.

However, at over 110k, I'd replace the O2 sensor anyway. They are only good for usually 60k-75k, and it sounds like the previous owner never did it.
On the searches, its coming up i have a L&R front o2 sensors... do i need both?

Just for curiosity's sake, I'd pull one of the plugs to see which ones he used. If he used one of the non-Dodge friendly brands, your mileage/power may not quite be what they could be.

The Hughes kit works great. Thats what I have, intake is spotless now, and its been roughly six months since install. My two cents: don't use the gasket that their kit comes with, purchase a Felpro gasket from a local auto store. O'Reillys usually carries them on hand.

I'd not only replace the IAC, I'd replace the pre-cat O2 sensor to. NTK (made by NGK) sensors are good.

I'm going to disagree with 97black_ram. If you plan on getting more upgrades later, I'd do at least the 50mm. If you have the 5.9L V8, and don't plan on keeping the engine stock for long, I'd go and do the 52mm.

For engine oil, I prefer synthetic, Mobil 1. More expensive, but you can go 6000 miles plus before another change. Royal Purple is also good, as is Amsoil. Valvoline is reputed to be decent, although I have no personal experience with the company. I am using a Valvoline "High Mileage" synthetic blend in my brother's early '90s Oldsmobile, he's being my guinea pig. It has 120k on it, so we'll see what happens.

i need to find out if he was using conventional oil or synthetic oil b/c i read its a bad choice to switch this late w/ the milage...

Last edited by 99_ramsport; 08-12-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
OK, before you propose marriage to the guy, did you see the thread title? I'm reserving judgment a little while longer on this one.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:34 PM
99_ramsport
Rookie

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
OK, before you propose marriage to the guy, did you see the thread title? I'm reserving judgment a little while longer on this one.

Its all good. I'll prove i'm a "good guy".. lol... I've had my fair time on forums w/ previous cars. And i hated when someone would post a question when its was the easiest topic to search. I love your ram sport... Very clean!! i'll have to post some pics of mine once cleaned but mine is just a everyday normal truck..

Old 08-12-2009, 10:28 PM
99_ramsport
Rookie

Didn't plan on a flush, i read about that but is it time for a new tranny filter? and i plan on using mopar fluids, anyother opinions for fluids please post...

Old 08-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

On fluids you can go the fancy stuff if you like, but if you have a Walmart around you that carries the Mopar fluids, you can get tranny fluids for like $3.00-$4.00 which is way cheaper than the dealer and it's OEM instead of some other brand.

Quick Reply: Newbie here w/ some questions..