2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aftermarket PCMs vs. Programmers

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:50 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Aftermarket PCMs vs. Programmers

I see lots of people mention super chips or similar programming devices. I would like to learn about the process of programming is and what's involved.

How do you go about tuning it?

I would also like to know about after market PCM modules that they advertise that are drop-in, ready to go.

I am going to assume that if ones PCM is running fine, there's no need to go out and get another one. I will also assume that one can obtain the same or better results with a programmer? Is that the thinking here?

I would like to be able to fine tune my truck but, at time of inspection for SMOG- would like to be able to go back to OEM specs. I am going to assume that programming for max performance is not going to pass smog.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:34 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just go sct its the best route , custum tune to your mods and no engine management and pcm you would have to send to b&g and wait for it , superchips is good too

Old 08-28-2009, 04:46 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

SCT makes the best programmers? Question: what do you mean when you say "no engine management and pcm"

Old 08-28-2009, 05:47 PM
2k10HemiRam
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When getting a aftermarket pcm or having your's flashed, you have to mail your pcm to the people you want to do the tune which puts your truck down for a couple days or even a week. Where as if you buy a sct tuner, anytime you do engine work and want a new tune or you're going to change fuel grade, ect... all you have to do is e-mail your tuner and they'll write you a new tune and e-mail it to you. The after that, all you gotta do is download that tune into the tuner, install it into the truck, then you're ready to go.

If you want a SCT tuner, I recommend going through Hemifever and do it now because the tuner is on sale this month for $375 when it's normally somewhere around $500-550 I believe.

You can reach hm at Hemifever@aol.com btw.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmckenna
I see lots of people mention super chips or similar programming devices. I would like to learn about the process of programming is and what's involved.

How do you go about tuning it?

I would also like to know about after market PCM modules that they advertise that are drop-in, ready to go.

I am going to assume that if ones PCM is running fine, there's no need to go out and get another one. I will also assume that one can obtain the same or better results with a programmer? Is that the thinking here?

I would like to be able to fine tune my truck but, at time of inspection for SMOG- would like to be able to go back to OEM specs. I am going to assume that programming for max performance is not going to pass smog.
Tuners are plug and play thru the trucks OBD II hookup. Plug it in , tunr key to "on" position" and go from there.

I personally have never used an aftermarket PCM, performance or otherwise. I have used OEM from Mopar.

Fine tuning the truck using a tuner will require you to go with SCT. They build a program to your specs. Then you load it into the PCM on the truck.

As far as smog/emmission isssues I run my 01 5.2 on Performance 91 Tune from my Superchips 3815. Never have had an issue thru inspection. So don't assume, actually I was getting better emissions reading with the tune on.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:54 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Oh, ok. Great. Thanks for the info. So, I got a good understanding of how it works thanks to you guys. The only part that was confusing was what you did with the SCT and how do you know what to input into it. That's what I wasn't getting. I got the interconnection part as this is common with all electronics when flashing chips or programming, loading software or firmware.

I do understand what you meant about emailing a new profile and then later downloading it onto your tuner. Got that, but, when you first get a tuner, does the user have to program it for tire size, engine size, intake flow, spark gap, header flow etc?

Old 08-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain

I do understand what you meant about emailing a new profile and then later downloading it onto your tuner. Got that, but, when you first get a tuner, does the user have to program it for tire size, engine size, intake flow, spark gap, header flow etc?

Superchips and Hypertech come with "settings" already programed in to fit a particular style or need I.e. Performance,Towing,Fuel Economy. You cannot modify these at all. SuperChips does ofter option to recalibrate speedos for tire size, raise lower rev limiter, and also raise/lower top speed.

As far as using the information or parameters you stated above. Contact SCT with it, they will then program it a tune matching up with your information. It comes to you ready to go. Now, They all offer updates thru their respective websites. Again while not specific to your particular tune, it does make the tuner a little more viable than a one time use.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Looking at his specs he has a 96 Ram, isn't that OBD-I? Do they make tuners for those? If they do, in California I would suggest setting it back to stock tune at time of inspection. All other states are more lenient than California. Was passes in New Jersey wont necessarily pass here.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:43 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Yeah, I just got an email from them and how it works. They write it. The users don't get to do that. But, it's not that big of a deal as I can see now but, again, which OBD do I have is the question.

That's why I wanted to put it back to OEM. For Cali SMOG tests only. Then, when I get it home, fire the new profile on and go. At least, that's what I was thinking anyway.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:31 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

1996 is technically the first year for OBD II. However, 1996-1997 were sort of "hybrid" test years for OBD II. Their codes are mix of OBD I style and OBD II style, and it can be a pretty mucked up system. Hence why new Superchips, Hypertech, etc. programmers don't work for them, 1998 or 1999 is about as old as they go.

The SCT, however, supports 1996 and newer, IIRC.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket PCMs vs. Programmers