2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Holy Crap tires have gotten expensive!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 09:25 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't buy the toyo's if you want a good A/T tire!!! A few of my friends are getting ride of them. They have what I have. A good A/T that looks like the bfg and works and throws mud.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:32 AM
JackJ
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know how many of you you read JP magazine, but recently they did a major tire review and the tire that they gave nice marks to were the Geolander tires for all around on and offroad, I think that they were the best for the AT group of tires. I know when I priced a set of either 33's or 32's on a 15 inch rim they were about 150 a piece.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:07 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
^^^^ What does the 255 70R16 tire look like compared to the 265/75 or the 285/75?

Everyone: thanks for the advice. I was worried I would have to chunk down tons of money just for tires but I'm going to look for and order online, then take them to a shop to install.

I would like a fairly aggressive looking tire like the ST but if you know of another 'hybrid' tire I should consider let me know.
255 looks like a baby tire, look at my sig.
the bfg all terrain is a great tire thats tough as nails. i should know, i rode around for about 10k or more with a roofing nail in each front tire, ran over countless bottles on the side of the road, and ran over a lot of rocks and crushed brick and the tires were in good shape until the day i took them off due to low tread. i have heard that they don't clean out well enough for mud but i never had a problem with them.

laramie, it looks like i will be checking out the tires you have for my next set due to treadwear and price.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:30 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
Don't buy the toyo's if you want a good A/T tire!!! A few of my friends are getting ride of them. They have what I have. A good A/T that looks like the bfg and works and throws mud.
It's funny you say that. I just lifted my Grand Cherokee daily driver 2" and was looking to get the soccer mom tires off and going with a good A/T tire.

I ran an informal poll on my south Ga. hunting and fishing club's site. These guys, for the most part are hard core off-road guys. I specifically asked what tire would be the best for a daily driver with some light to medium off-road usage.

In a true A/T tire, their choice as the best one made, by far, was the Toyo Open Country A/T. Over 35% of those polled recommended it, compared to the Nitto Terra Grappler (2nd at 24%) and the Mickey Thompson ATZ's (3rd at 20%).

I ended up putting the Nitto's on my Jeep, couldn't be happier. Very quiet, grips like velcro on dry and wet pavement and during my trip to Ga. a couple weeks ago, did fine on some wet, sloppy red clay roads after a significant amount of rain. Also had no problem going around some very soft plowed fields to get back to some favorite fishing ponds.

I got the Nitto's in 265/65/17 for the Jeep (basically a 31"x10.5") for $590 out the door...

Name:  HPIM3012.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  151.8 KB

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-31-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71

Damn Hammer, you need to polish those headlights up a bit.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:48 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
It's funny you say that. I just lifted my Grand Cherokee daily driver 2" and was looking to get the soccer mom tires off and going with a good A/T tire.

I ran an informal poll on my south Ga. hunting and fishing club's site. These guys, for the most part are hard core off-road guys. I specifically asked what tire would be the best for a daily driver with some light to medium off-road usage.

In a true A/T tire, their choice as the best one made, by far, was the Toyo Open Country A/T. Over 35% of those polled recommended it, compared to the Nitto Terra Grappler (2nd at 24%) and the Mickey Thompson ATZ's (3rd at 20%).

I ended up putting the Nitto's on my Jeep, couldn't be happier. Very quiet, grips like velcro on dry and wet pavement and during my trip to Ga. a couple weeks ago, did fine on some wet, sloppy red clay roads after a significant amount of rain. Also had no problem going around some very soft plowed fields to get back to some favorite fishing ponds.

I got the Nitto's in 265/65/17 for the Jeep (basically a 31"x10.5") for $590 out the door...
I have been told that the toyos are a light a/t. I liked them until I talked to ppl about them. They said good highway and light off road. But I don't think they have enough meat on them. The tread desing is weak! My generals look like the bfg - the top shelf costs. They clean good I don't need to nail it to clean them out. But they are soft cause you can out studs in theses tires. There not a huge fan of rocks, Not sure if its cause of the soft compound or what but I have one missing side lug from when I went off roading. I have heard good things about the nittos. I want to get the new m/t tires. My buddy has a set of them nittos on his 2500 ctd 4x4 he says there great. He's not an off roader by any means. But the few time he has gone off road he says they do ok. He needed to keep the rpms up to clean them out. I also priced out the nittos, bfg and toyo when I was tire shopping. But than my buddy pulled in with a set of them and the price of them is way less than the bfg's and they look and do as well as the bfg's.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Damn Hammer, you need to polish those headlights up a bit.
Actually they are not that bad, I really worked at them after I bought it about 2 years ago and they were terrible.
It's more the sun glare in that pic. Here is a pic taken a couple weeks before that one, just before the lift, shocks and tire upgrade:

Now back on topic:

I get a lot of mixed reviews on the BFG's from buddies I know who have/had them. Some love 'em, some hate 'em, but I guess you pretty much get that with every tire. Your General Grabbers, btw were my second choice after the Nitto's for my Jeep. Were about $10 per tire cheaper than the Nitto's and got great reviews as well. But I really wanted to try the Nitto's.

As far as a tire for my Truck, over the past 12 years or so I've only bought tires that either said Mickey Thompson or Dick Cepek on them. I just had tremendous success with my first set of MT's and refuse to change. I don't think there is a better tire made that performs as well as the FCII on pavement and yet can almost stay with the Bogger and Claws off road! Only down side to the FCII's is that even though they are a true hybrid between an A/T and an M/T, they are as loud as all but the most aggressive M/Ts.
The other bad thing is the cost. You get what you pay for, and if it says Mickey Thompsone/Dick Cepek on the sidewall, it ain't cheap...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-31-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:52 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
I have been told that the toyos are a light a/t. I liked them until I talked to ppl about them. They said good highway and light off road. But I don't think they have enough meat on them. The tread desing is weak! My generals look like the bfg - the top shelf costs. They clean good I don't need to nail it to clean them out. But they are soft cause you can out studs in theses tires. There not a huge fan of rocks, Not sure if its cause of the soft compound or what but I have one missing side lug from when I went off roading. I have heard good things about the nittos. I want to get the new m/t tires. My buddy has a set of them nittos on his 2500 ctd 4x4 he says there great. He's not an off roader by any means. But the few time he has gone off road he says they do ok. He needed to keep the rpms up to clean them out. I also priced out the nittos, bfg and toyo when I was tire shopping. But than my buddy pulled in with a set of them and the price of them is way less than the bfg's and they look and do as well as the bfg's.
Thats why I am going to pick the Toyos. I do not need a hard-core off-road tire. I have a set on now and they suck. I need a tire that is good on the road while having some off-road capability. If I get stuck, I'll have someone pull me out. I do not go off-roading much (If at all). Plus I dont like the look of BFGs after 30,000 miles. They look like the ****ty Wrangler TDs I have on now.

Hammer, thanks for the info. Makes me like the Toyos even more if they get high marks from real off-roaders. I like the Nittos as they are very similar to the Open Countrys but hate the design on the sidewall. I just like a simple white-letter tire.

Last edited by PurplDodge; 08-31-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks guys. I'm actually thinking of going with the Cooper STT now. I just want a friggin cool looking tire. They aren't very spendy online. And since my Thuren bar has been shipped (YAY!) I'll have to lift it first, then see how 265s look with a 3" lift and decide whether to go up to 285s. Anybody got pics of a 3" lift and 265s?

Old 09-01-2009, 01:30 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it's not a 3" lift but those are 265's with 7" and they look dinky.

Quick Reply: Holy Crap tires have gotten expensive!!!