2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need some advice comparing 2 trucks

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Bubba39047
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lastrights
go big or go home at least put in the 360 , you wont regrete it
thought about it. but i have the nv3500 transmission which i know for a fact is in my truck and the 5.2. would the 5.9 be to much? i have never seen a manual 5.9

Old 09-17-2009, 08:00 PM
phrogs

What kind of reprograming are we talking about is this something I can remove the chip and send off, or do I need someone to plug into the truck?

Not sure how dodge handeld the computers on these Im a corvette guy and they had ECMs with removable Chips eproms.

Anyhow I do all my own work on all my cars and I do not see why I can't do the same on a dodge mechanics are easy computers is where you need the toys.

So is there a scanner that I can purchase and do this myself maybe something like a Tech 1 that GM uses?

thanks guys

dare I say it its a toss up between this 01 and a 00 Silverado

Originally Posted by jasonw
2001s came with the death flash from the factory. Even if the intakes are "fixed" by a previous owner, the death flash will still be there unless reprogrammed by a performance shop or tuner.

I'm with the rest/majority of the guys that have already "voted". I'd get the black truck, and talk it down in price.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:32 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba39047
thought about it. but i have the nv3500 transmission which i know for a fact is in my truck and the 5.2. would the 5.9 be to much? i have never seen a manual 5.9
no it wouldnt be too much, but the 360 is alot easyier to build than the 5.2 and you will get more gains with the mods

Old 09-17-2009, 10:37 PM
townsley4
Veteran

hey, you sound like you are in the same situation i was in about 5 months ago. heres what i can tell you......GET THE TRUCK CHECKED OUT BEFORE U BUY IT OR SIGN ANYTHING. and ask for a powertrain warrenty. i have hte 2001 dodge ram sport. traded in my 98 dakota for it. here is what all was wrong with it after the dealer had told me everything was fine and that their "mechanics" had checked it over and said it was fine"...

all u-joints replaced
ball joints replaced
new tires
new shocks
new steering stabalizer
new tranny governor
alignment
needs new steering box or soemthing along those lines.

all about $2,000 ontop of sale price. i got ripped off. dont let it happen to you. but on the bright side of things, i love my truck.

Attachment 5700

Attachment 5701

Last edited by townsley4; 09-25-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:09 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can see you missing all that other stuff, but how did you not notice it needed tires?

Old 09-18-2009, 10:26 AM
townsley4
Veteran

i did notice it needed new tires. i threw that in there when i was talking the dealer down. im was just throwing that in there, to make sure he checks everything.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:05 PM
phrogs

I don't see how any dealer will give a warranty on a older truck like this, its not like they just give you one, they try to sell the BS outside company warrantys, I have bought plenty of used cars most never come with a waranty I am a mechainc im just not up to speed on the trannys always hear the horror stories but with my last truck it wasnt that bad at all.

I had thought it was a easy fix with the trannys bigger tranny cooler maybe a selonoid that needed to be changed.

Im not worried about the dash cracking thats what happens when you have plastic in the sun and if you drive a vehicle after a while the suspension wears out. But its not hard to change out the parts.

I know what yo look for but im dodge stupid im a chevy guy.

Originally Posted by townsley4
hey, you sound like you are in the same situation i was in about 5 months ago. heres what i can tell you......GET THE TRUCK CHECKED OUT BEFORE U BUY IT OR SIGN ANYTHING. and ask for a powertrain warrenty. i have hte 2001 dodge ram sport. traded in my 98 dakota for it. here is what all was wrong with it after the dealer had told me everything was fine and that their "mechanics" had checked it over and said it was fine"...

all u-joints replaced
ball joints replaced
new tires
new shocks
new steering stabalizer
new tranny governor
alignment
needs new steering box or soemthing along those lines.

all about $2,000 ontop of sale price. i got ripped off. dont let it happen to you. but on the bright side of things, i love my truck.

Attachment 5700

Attachment 5701

Old 09-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Bubba39047
Captain

Originally Posted by lastrights
no it wouldnt be too much, but the 360 is alot easyier to build than the 5.2 and you will get more gains with the mods
i'll probably get a 5.9. its 2wd so it'll be a tire shreader then. i think i've seen your truck on youtube. i was lookin up cherry bomb extreme muffler (thats what im getting on this) and yours was on there

Old 09-18-2009, 09:22 PM
jmhai
Veteran

I bought my 1996 Ram 3 years ago from a Toyota dealers used car lot and it came with a full 12 month/12,000 mile warranty.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:00 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Bubba39047
i been thinkin about droping a 5.2 in there after my freshman year in college.
you'll not regret it

put an axle under the front and a T Case behind that 5 speed too, short wheelbase, would make a kickass off road truck

Quick Reply: need some advice comparing 2 trucks