2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need some advice comparing 2 trucks

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:35 PM
phrogs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some advice comparing 2 trucks

Im looking at 2 trucks at the same dealer.
I had a 01 yellow sport that I sold because im a idiot but anyway I need a truck again.

The 01 is advertised at $7900 and the 98 is at $5900 and I havent even had the chance to haggle with them yet.

I'm looking for info from you guys who have had these trucks for a while whats the difference between these two trucks I mean they are almost identical but im not that smart on all the details. What I do know is after having a few of these trucks between myself and my room mate I kind of dread the transmission problems and need to know of any special ways to test them out that you know of so I can check them other than slipping and not wanting to shift stinky fluid and such I doubt theres anything other than what I know but I can hope!

I am looking at this to be a daily driver winter truck for the accasional towing of a car not to worried about off road at the moment but might in the future.
I just need a dependable truck that can move from michigan to north carolina and in between and not leave me on the side of the road.

First one is

2001 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
4X4 OffRoad Package
70k Miles
5.9L Magnum V8 Motor

It is black the seller claims it has a lifted and heavier suspension not sure about that it looks a little higher than my old truck but hard to say it also doesnt have the "sport" on the front end like mine did so I wonder if it is a sport or not? whats the difference? any specific options it should have if it is a sport?

couple of pics

Removed the 98 its out of the running

Last edited by phrogs; 09-18-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Bob5151
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You didn't list a price, but assuming they are close, I would go with the black one. It appears to be mostly stock, compared to the blue one, with the brush guard, rocker panels, gas cap, guages ect. The blue one's grill and bumpers look like they have been painted, and it appears to have a small lift or at least a level on it. I think a stock truck is always a better buy, unless the blue one is exactly what you are looking for. Who knows if the person who put that leveling kit on did a good job, or the guy that replaced the guages didn't mess anything up with them? Just my opinion
The black one is also roughly 3 years newer (depending on build date), and seems to be in nice condition. I would guess the blue one has significantly higher miles due to the wear on the driver seat.
The black one is definitly a Sport, later '01 models had a "Sport" badge just behind the driver side doors, like that one does, instead of the decals on the bed or the hood. Not sure if the blue one was originally a Sport or not, since the grille and bumpers have been messed with. Also, the '01 is an Off-Road, which comes with 4.10 gears, and sits roughly 2" higher than a regualr 4x4 Ram.
If it were me, I would go with the 2001, unless the '98 has all the mods you want, or is WAY cheaper than the black one. Good luck with whatever you get.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

the black one is a sport (color matched grille and bumpers) and the off road edition sits higher than stock so it probably doesn't have a lift.

as far as things to look for, reach in there when the dealer isn't looking and knock on the dashboard to see if it falls in. it may not be a problem on the 98 but the 01 will more than likely have a weak/cracked dashboard.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

the price was on the windows of both...

Old 09-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The black one is definitely a Sport model and, as said, has the Off Road package which includes special wheels and a higher lift. 70k is pretty low mileage, but $8,900 is kind of high for a V8 1500 without leather interior. I paid $8k for mine in March and it is a 2500 with V10 and every factory option available. Black vehicles can be a pain to own, but if you can live with it that looks like a clean truck. I would try to get them down at least $700-900 and have them throw in some kind of drivetrain warranty.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:16 PM
zje400ex
Captain

I like the black truck much better. Looks cleaner and probably has lower miles. The black one is an off-road edition. Should have 4.10 gears, 17 rims, and a stock 2" suspension lift from the factory. I love the look of the off-road editions in black. One thing you need to know is if the intakes were fixed on these trucks and if not maybe the black one has been death flashed??? If i ever buy another dodge ram 1500 i'd make sure i know if they have.

For the tranny... Just take them out for a test drive and feel how it shifts and downshifts. Really get on it to see how it is. That's the only way i know how to do it. Just see if it's smooth and shifts without slipping. Another thing...the blue truck has 35" tires. That will kill a tranny much faster over having stock size tires like the black truck

You said you wanted to tow a car? The black truck doesnt have a tow hitch and the blue one does. If you get the black one you'll need a tow hitch, wiring harness, and probably a tranny cooler if it doesnt have one

Just from looks i would say get the black truck. Look clean and has low miles.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:27 PM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

Id go with the 01 since its stock and unraped. Notice the 01 has the nice vinyl floors so you dont have to worry about spilling crap in it. I love my vinyl floors for that very reason. The 01 looks like a way better choice. With the mileage and considering it is still stock id go with it. They both look clean, but the 98 has painted bumpers,Exhaust is done, and has a brush gaurd....ect So you know the previous owner had one thing in mind with that truck. Its probly seen its fair share of offroading and being ran the crap out of. No problem with that, just makes you wonder about the tranny's condition and other parts aswell. And also being a 98 with probly more miles than the 01. Its had more time to be taken offroad and has more than likely seen more owners.

The safer better choice: The 01..

Old 09-15-2009, 06:06 PM
DanTheMan44

I would go with the black one. Like said, it has 4.10 gears so the tranny is probably in better shape pushing those tires around rather than the blue one that has probably 3.55s or maybe 3.92s trying to push 35's around. The tires are fairly new so maybe its the first time its had 35s but you never know.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:32 PM
zje400ex
Captain

Try to find out the bottom dollar on the black one. But the money saved on buying the blue one you could upgrade the tranny and intake if it goes out. But the black one looks like the better buy

Old 09-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

i forgot to add that you shouldn't let the dealer use a lift and heavier suspension as a selling point. that is stock on an off road edition.

Quick Reply: need some advice comparing 2 trucks