2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buyers Remorse....Help with 96 Ram PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 01:58 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nhxj4x4
Build sticker states 3:55's. I doubt they replaced the gears. I found a very local junk yard that basically has everything that I would need. I may check them out.
You never know. I just figured out yesterday that I have 4.56 gears and the guy I bought it from had no idea...To look at mine when I bought it it was looked wosre than yours..... The new paint had never been buffed and I found small amounts of bondo.interior was filthy.... Funny thing is I searched for a month and a half to find a local extended cab lifted 4x4 and I really wanted a dodge so..... I jumped on it and overpaid.....Even if you dump a couple grand into yours you would still be ahead of me....I looked at it as, If I bought another I would have to pay for the lift and the tires and rims and the headers and performance exhaust..... The gears made me feel way better about the purchase sinceI paid $1200 to have 4.56 gears put in my jeep 10 years ago... and I have new brakes all the way around, alignment and a brand new transfer case..... My goals are now taking care of a whining noise on decceration, sound system and fixing the cruise and AC... It really has been rewarding working on it the last month...Friends already cant believe its the same truck.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Dodge.Ismo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem Augiedoggie,...I wonder how many "mechanically inclined" previous owners this truck has had? *(Nhxj4x4, BEAUTIFUL looking machine by the way...understand why you bought it!..I'm getting the exact same looking one for...$2000 Can.$..today as a matter of fact). Depending on region of ownership,(I'm up here in Canada), a lot of people watch t.v. shows like: "powerblock" television, or are into "rock crawling" etc. ... you never know a persons,(previous owners'), reasoning for modifications,..if any...or it could just have plain wore out/ have non functioning parts like ???..."OVERDRIVE" or something like that...(definitely scope the tranny!..if no go...take it out and fix it. The truck looks great! don't let the tranny bring your happy/new purchase mood go to the dogs Nhxj4x4..**no pun intended "AugieDOGGY" ha.. ha).

Old 09-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Dodge.Ismo
Veteran

Glad to hear about your truck,....I'm buying a: black/blk..1995 ext.cab short box for $2000 canadian funds, comes with extra 318 engine, rear Locker, C.B., stereo, fully loaded, tint, runs good... **but,..on the same note as yours...I love the look, and it's not too easy to find a nice enough in shape project for limited funds these days. Mine needs both rockers done, both quarters have a bit of rust-rot on the wheel well portion,(Canada!...a lot of SALT on the roads every winter).

Old 09-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have read a few times on here where the OD switch on the dash fasiled and caused the overdive to not work....does your even light up when you hit it to turn it off?.....(doesnt mean the switch is good anyway) also maybe a fuse is out?

Old 09-26-2009, 12:26 PM
AlabamaRam95
All Star

...funny you say that... mine wouldnt work (the OD switch), and i bought the truck brand new so im the only one thats ever worked on it. i knew that the switch had worked before but it quit. come to find out...i accidentally pulled it loose when i was working on my stereo mod. all is good now.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Nhxj4x4

Hey guys, it's 6pm and I have been working staight on it since 8am. Here is what I have fixed so far:

-New Calipers, Cylinders, and 1 line. Also new pads. The breaks now work great.
-Fixed the break lights, it was the break light switch
-Fixed the signals, so I now have blinkers.
-Seafoamed her again, now run much stronger and can actually peel out now.
-Last but not least I fixed the shifter linkage. They made it too long, now I have a perfectly aligned link and everything acts as it should.
-Replaced the Transmission Relay which was MISSING.

So YES, the truck shifts on it's own now, I now have D, but I have big issues still ahead I think and I REALLY need your guy's input on this as I have 2 people that want to buy it but I am having 2nd thoughts.

So when you're just starting out 1 and 2 are great, decent power. Then you get to 3 and it's OK. Then overdrive and the **** hits the fan. It BUCKS like a SOB. It only bucks at a steady gas pressure, like when you're just maintaining speed. When you're on the gas or off it does not buck. When I turn OD off and it goes to 3rd it seems better, but it still bucks a bit. I really need your guy's thoughts on this one and what it might be.

Also I have some engine codes. P0300 (Random Cylinder Misfires) and P0306 (Cylinder 6 Misfire). If anyone has any knowledge of what would cause these I would really appreciate the insight. Could it be as simple and Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, or would it be something much worse? You can tell that the truck is skipping at times that's for sure.

Other issues that were discovered today include a leaky radiator, the tank straps which I think I mentioned already, possible rear main seal. Also the front shocks (I hate the previous owner) do not have the metal bushing installed in them so they really aren't doing a damn thing. Easy fix there. The steering is still as loose as a $50 you know what. I tightened everything but nothing was very loose. I have NO wheel play side to side or up and down. I don't know if perhaps I just need a really good alignment or what. Lastly (for now) the front stabalizer bas is MIA, totally gone, so I will need one of those from a junk yard at some point. Not a huge deal again and that shouldn't kill the steering like it is now.

Anyway, sorry for the novel. Please chime in guys and let me know what you think. Like I said I am having 2nd thoughts about selling, but would like some input, especially on the transmission/ bucking in OD an 3rd.

Thanks,

Todd

Old 09-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Nhxj4x4

Nothing?

Old 09-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain

I'd change the cap,rotor and plugs. Route the wires per the TSB to avoid crossfire. And try the Steering box adjustment in the DYI section.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The bucking is probably due to your misfire issue. These trucks are very sensitive to ignition wire crossfires. There's even a TSB about it. Make sure that isn't the problem.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:05 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If routing the wires according to the TSB does not fix the misfire problem, then plan on spending from 8am to 6pm next weekend replacing the plenum plate with a Hughes kit and replacing or hollowing out your cat.

Quick Reply: Buyers Remorse....Help with 96 Ram PLEASE