2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buyers Remorse....Help with 96 Ram PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Dodge.Ismo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a few things could be checked out...***FIRST.. drive it 4 a bit and let the new fluid do its thing...then.. 1)do your plugs,cap+rotor 2)Change tranny fluid and filter(add some SEAFOAM) 3) if shudder continues... check out some:"Dr. Tranny's Instant Shudder Fix", by Lube Guard...$8.00 4) if problem still persists,..(thus far you've only spent a few bucks following this advise),.. have "Control Solonoid" for lockup torque converter replaced. 5) If all else fails... these transmissions have been known to have a "governor pressure transducer",...that goes bad. Still though...always remember, before starting the EXPENSIVE fixes..$$$$, have the tranny scoped. good luck!

Last edited by Dodge.Ismo; 09-27-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

by bucking could it perhaps be shifting from 3rd to od back to third....if your gears werent changed the shiftpoint might be right around 30 mph and it could be struggling to stay in od..... the codes your getting are either from bad plugs, wires,cap and rotor....otherwise it could be bad valves ,seats or rings....

Old 09-28-2009, 07:39 AM
UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Beautiful looking truck, Id say that you are way ahead when you get all the nonsense fixed, I paid $1k for my 96 3/4 ton and although its in very nice shape, I get super disgusted and discouraged going through and fixing all the little issues (including just finally getting a driveability issue narrowed down). I guess in the end Id rather have a weekend or three into it and do tires/brakes/alignment etc rather than paying $5k for a done truck that needs nothing now, but sure will soon.

Mine bucks like a donkey in OD and in fact I just keep it out. You may notice that if you time it right it isn't really the OD that makes it buck, its the second the converter locks, that's when it gives up the ghost. Couple that with the fact that my OD switch works when it wants to then "forgets" I pushed it when I come to a complete stop, and its kind of a pain. But again when buying a truck that needs love, no big deal.

Zman, where can one find that plenum kit you speak of? Does it have any advantages over stock? Thanks! Best of luck with the truck, I bet you felt like a million bucks at 6pm Saturday night. The best feeling is knocking out a ton of small jobs to make the vehicle seem new again haha.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:55 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...2&partid=22220 The problem with the factory plate is that it's steel and manifold is alluminum, they expand and contract at different rates which eventually blows the gasket out. Hughes also sells a whole replacement intake (F1 airgap), a lot more expensive but you can go that route also, like others here have done.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Dodge.Ismo
Veteran

Just another tidbit,...I was talking to a guy with the same problem, and he purchased 8mm resistance spark plug wires and "R"(resistance plugs) as well as a good quality MSD cap+rotor...and he still had a tad bit of buck...BUT!..after driving it, (with new fluid+tranny filter), for about 7-8 days...he swears it drives like new!

Old 09-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Dodge.Ismo
Veteran

FIXED IT IN 23 DAYS! + safetied!!! ***4-ball joints, whole front linkage, RS-5000 steering stabalizer shock, front rotors, pads, calipers; rear drums, shoes and springs, rear brake lines, wheel cylinders; windshield, RF foglight bulb, brake light+ stop light fuses, (power steering hose thread, taped to stop leak at box), multi-function switch (to repair emergency flasher switch), and misc. little items like a home wheel alignment, grease job, oil change, trans. filter+oil change..... "SAFETY CHECK!" **NEXT: 5" Superlift, 35" tires on 17" wheels, Lund visor, window vent shades, etc.. etc. ...

Last edited by Dodge.Ismo; 11-29-2009 at 12:45 AM. Reason: because "23" day miracles do happen!

Quick Reply: Buyers Remorse....Help with 96 Ram PLEASE