2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buyers Remorse....Help with 96 Ram PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Nhxj4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyers Remorse....Help with 96 Ram PLEASE

Hey guys,

1st post here, 1st Dodge for that matter (I'm a Jeep guy, go easy). I'm very mechanical so don't hold back. I think I may have made a bad purchase today....

I just bought a 96 1500 ext cab, 5.2L Auto, 4x4 tonight. It has 115K on it, and it was $2000. Ran well and on the limited test drive that I had it seemed OK. The brakes are REALLY bad, so the test drive was short and not fast. I could care less about replacing brakes, that's nothing.

Anyway, it is lifted. It has I believe a 2" suspension lift and a 3" body lift. Here is where the problems start. Suspension lift is fine although the front tires (35's BTW) are toed in, not a huge deal I can do an alignment. She doesn't track straight AT ALL, and there is a lot of play in the steering wheel to get the truck to turn. Usually this is a pitman arm issue, but we'll see there, again this isn't my main concern.

Main Concern: The shifting is all messed up and I need your guy's help with this. My alignment of PRND21 is completely off, really off. Going all the way down you're off the map below 1. 1 I believe is 2, and I HAVE NO DRIVE. One up from that is Neutral, which is 2 on the display, then D is also netural it seems. N is reverse, and Park is just somewhere. Also I have to HE-MAN the freaking column to get the key out, like REALLY HE-MAN it. Also I have to HE-MAN it to get the column to turn again upon inserting the key and getting ready to spin the cylinder. My main concern is that the truck is not shifting into D, therefore the truck isn't shifting at all really. I think whomever installed this lift was a fúcktard and has no idea what they are doing. Now I am left not wanting to tell my wife WTF I just bought. I have read the install instructions for the Performance Suspension 3" lift as I assume that mine would be similar (See: http://www.performanceaccessories.co...0063_60073.pdf) and it is about as helpful as the tax code. It merely states this:

A/T shift linkage rod: To lengthen the automatic
transmission shift linkage rod, cut it in half and weld the
kit pin between the pieces of the rod as follows: Near the
middle of the rod, scribe a line along the axis (the long
way) of the shift linkage rod. (Later, before welding, this
line will be used to ensure the pieces of the rod are
correctly oriented in relation to each other.) Cut through
the rod across the center of the scribed line. Weld the kit
pin between the pieces of the rod, ensuring the scribed
lines are aligned. Install the rod on the steering column
bracket and the pivot assembly. Adjust the rod so the
PRNDL indicator registers properly.

What the flying F does that mean, there isn't a picture!?! If I don't have this and I install something like this would that alleviate my issues with this truck? There are others too, like the seat backs don't lock back, I have no signals, I have no brake lights, the engine seems tired when driving but rev's as good or better than any 5.2 I have even heard (plenty of Grand Cherokee's). All of those things are minor and a tune-up would prob do this thing wonders.

Anyway, please chime in, reassure me that I am not a tard and that I shouldn't just throw this thing back on Craig's list. Any info would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Todd

Old 09-22-2009, 01:35 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Wow. Get yer money back.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:22 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

As those instructions dictate, you have to modify the shift linkage when you are lifting a truck (or in your case, fix the shifting of the lifted truck). If those instructions confuse you, I'd take it to a proper off-road shop, explain your situation, and have them see what they can do (at least have them give you a quote to fix it). You're not doing anything with the transmission really, just adjusting/modifying the linkage, so it shouldn't be to bad.

As far as the engine being tired, what size tires does it have? Big tires on a lifted truck with stock gears, usually 3.55s, suck. Also, these trucks' V8s suffer the same problem with the plenum gasket and resulting "death flash" that the 5.2/5.9 V8s in the Jeeps suffer from.

Last edited by jasonw; 09-22-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:30 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jason I think moving the linkage only apply to a bd lift. Not suspension. When I did my suspension lift all of my levers are in the same spot.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:48 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
Jason I think moving the linkage only apply to a bd lift. Not suspension. When I did my suspension lift all of my levers are in the same spot.
Well DUH!!!!!!!

Old 09-22-2009, 06:56 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LOL. Its that time of day.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:46 AM
Nhxj4x4

Originally Posted by jasonw
As those instructions dictate, you have to modify the shift linkage when you are lifting a truck (or in your case, fix the shifting of the lifted truck). If those instructions confuse you, I'd take it to a proper off-road shop, explain your situation, and have them see what they can do (at least have them give you a quote to fix it). You're not doing anything with the transmission really, just adjusting/modifying the linkage, so it shouldn't be to bad.

As far as the engine being tired, what size tires does it have? Big tires on a lifted truck with stock gears, usually 3.55s, suck. Also, these trucks' V8s suffer the same problem with the plenum gasket and resulting "death flash" that the 5.2/5.9 V8s in the Jeeps suffer from.
Can you explain the plenum problem, this is a new one for me.

It's not that I don't understand what they mean by welding in a rod, it's that they reference the linkage as well as the steering column. Are there 2 rods? My assumption was that the linkage was under the body, drivers side frame rail, but then they mention the steering column as well and that is throwing me off I guess.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

well if it makes you feel better I just paid well more than double for my 96 ram with the same lift setup (well 4 inch body) 2 inch suspension and new 35's.....I only needed to do minor work though..... anyway as far as the sloppy steering check the steering shaft the big tires made mine sloppy right in the telscoping area in the middle where the two peices come together....easy fix with some long shims and jb weld to hold it all together...holding up great so far... as far as shifting mine is slightly harder than normal to shift but everything lines up ok..sorry cant help you there.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Nhxj4x4

Thanks, I will check that out. I'm happy I found this board as it seems very active. I'll keep throwing updates up as I go through the truck and determine whether or not it goes back on Craig's list. If anyone has anymore insight, or a link to a nice body lift install, I would appreciate that.

Thanks,

Todd

Old 09-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

as long as the body and frame aren't rotted I dont think 2 grand is bad for a running 4wd truck....you have to expect its going to need work....I know prices are different in different areas but here they rot out fast and 4wd's hold a premium thanks to our fun buffalo winters....

Quick Reply: Buyers Remorse....Help with 96 Ram PLEASE