2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Dodge Ram running poorly!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Lefty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please help, My problem is getting worse!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update on the 96 Dodge Ram 360. I replaced the crank position sensor, worked ok for a few weeks but I only drive it on weekends mostly.

I took it out tonight for a 15 minute errand and id done perfect until I kicked it wide open. It started missing immediately. Not bad at first but but got much worse but within seconds it ws bad. When it started missing very bad and my voltage went way down, That might be beause the 96 has a generator instead of an alternator.

It finally died on me and i waited about 10 minutes add it started up, still missing but running. Back firing in the exhaust. ran for about 5 minutes and same thing happened. when i try to crank it, it cranked like the battery had full charge but my head lights were on while i was trying to start it, my head lights were on, and the GEN light came on and it would sill crank but no start. I waited about 10 more minuted and it fired up it voltage wawent strait back to normal. I live about 3 miles from there, By time i got i barely it puilled in the driveway and it died again.

So what your opinion, generator, fuel pump, TPS something else????

Please reply, I neen help!

Thanks,
Lefty

Last edited by Lefty; 11-11-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Lefty

Does anyone a stock throtte body i can borrow for a few days to see if that helps of at teast a TPS?

I have an aftermarket throtte body( I think it was a Fastman) I bought it was new.

Last edited by Lefty; 11-11-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lefty
Update on the 96 Dodge Ram 360. I replaced the crank position sensor, worked ok for a few weeks but I only drive it on weekends mostly.

I took it out tonight for a 15 minute errand and id done perfect until I kicked it wide open. It started missing immediately. Not bad at first but but got much worse but within seconds it ws bad. When it started missing very bad and my voltage went way down, That might be beause the 96 has a generator instead of an alternator.

It finally died on me and i waited about 10 minutes add it started up, still missing but running. Back firing in the exhaust. ran for about 5 minutes and same thing happened. when i try to crank it, it cranked like the battery had full charge but my head lights were on while i was trying to start it, my head lights were on, and the GEN light came on and it would sill crank but no start. I waited about 10 more minuted and it fired up it voltage wawent strait back to normal. I live about 3 miles from there, By time i got i barely it puilled in the driveway and it died again.

So what your opinion, generator, fuel pump, TPS something else????

Please reply, I neen help!

Thanks,
Lefty
first I've heard on my 96 having a genny instead of an alternator?

Old 11-11-2009, 09:34 PM
estech2
Professional

Have you checked the coil? maybe there is a crack in the casing. Does this issue correlate to temp or moisture? Sounds like an intermittent electrical problem, Or a short somewhere. One of the conductors on my upstream O2 sensor had worn through the insulation and was shorting out aginst my tranny pan causing the PCM to freak out.
Would the fuel pump cause the PCM to throw mis-fire codes? Does not sound right to me. My Dumb A$$ has ran my Ram out of gas a few times and I never threw a code.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:09 AM
ridehard1

Where is the "crank positioning sensor"located?? Im still having rough running and intermittent backfiring issues.Cleaned the TB ,components and map sensor a few weeks ago.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:21 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

its very possible one of the plugs is not "snapped" down onto the dist.cap/plug

Old 11-16-2009, 10:37 AM
ridehard1
Default Fuel Pump

O'reilly has fuel pumps about $240 Goodluck!!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Lefty

I have tripple checked everything. I think I'm down to my last choice. A fuel pump.

It keeps getting worse with time. I'm thinking the fuel pump is getting hot and shutting down. Right now I really don't know, but a fuel pump is the last thing i'm throwing at it.

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
its very possible one of the plugs is not "snapped" down onto the dist.cap/plug

Last edited by Lefty; 11-16-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Lefty

It's on the bellhousing of the trans right behind the motor. Kinda hard to get to.

Originally Posted by ridehard1
Where is the "crank positioning sensor"located?? Im still having rough running and intermittent backfiring issues.Cleaned the TB ,components and map sensor a few weeks ago.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:28 PM
big.red.ram
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lefty
I have tripple checked everything. I think I'm down to my last choice. A fuel pump.

It keeps getting worse with time. I'm thinking the fuel pump is getting hot and shutting down. Right now I really don't know, but a fuel pump is the last thing i'm throwing at it.
do a fuel pressure test before u go out and spend a ton of money on a fuel pump

Quick Reply: 96 Dodge Ram running poorly!!