2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

I.O.D. (Ignition Off Drain) Fuse

Old 07-12-2010, 12:17 PM
brettj2408
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the IOD fuse is the ignition off draw, it is activated by the dealership during a prep when the vehicle is recieved. with it out, it will not drain the battery of any accessory that is left on or defective(taking current) to drain the battery. Such as radio, key fob, etc.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:48 PM
sprntpshr
Professional
Cool

Mine was blown out when the PO removed the radio. Now I have the trip computer back along with the outside temp display. Radio powerlead is still dead, I suspect other wiring creativity from the PO under the steering coulum.
Was better off without knowing it was 96F at the time.

sprntpshr

Old 10-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Steven Allen Gibson

I have a high top bus 1996 dodge ram 3400 can not find fuse for dome lights, can any one help?

Old 05-19-2013, 10:01 PM
brents1986
Default Need some help

I just had to replace my IOD fuse after wiring in some offroad lights. (Dome, cargo, radio and power mirrors stopped workin), replaced the fuse and everything works. But now I can't get my dome light or cargo light to shut off. Any suggestions?

Old 05-30-2013, 09:42 PM
RieskeKR
Default 1998 Dodge RAM 2500 Cummins - Fuse 12 in Junction Box

Correct to above comment:
My 1998 Dodge RAM 2500 Cummins - Fuse 12 in Junction Box (I.O.D) is exactly as the picture in the beginning of this thread. It has a black plastic guard as shown. The two larger arms top and bottom can be squeezed together with the finger and thumb or a pair of pliers as it is pulled out, but it only come half way out. At this point the fuse legs or tabs can be tested with a meter for continuity. Mine showed the fuse was blown.
The little cover in the center of the black plastic is the trick. It hinges on the right (NOT on the left as stated above). I broke one of the little hinges trying the procedure mentioned above. Then, the movement allowed the left side to open. Try to open the left side first. It snaps over two little tabs that can be seen with mirror. Then, pull the fuse with small pliers.
Installation is easy. Just shove the fuse in, close the little cover (if it hasn't broken off) and push everything in.
This is another CRAZY mysterious design by Dodge. The big shop book doesn't help one bit. It tells and the obvious steps but seems to always skip the TRICKS.
Good luck . . .

Last edited by RieskeKR; 05-30-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:33 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by brents1986
I just had to replace my IOD fuse after wiring in some offroad lights. (Dome, cargo, radio and power mirrors stopped workin), replaced the fuse and everything works. But now I can't get my dome light or cargo light to shut off. Any suggestions?
I assume you are turning the headlight switch to try and turn them off?

Old 08-09-2013, 11:14 PM
CotyEvans
Default Battery change somehow caused IOD fuse to blow

I changed my battery today in my 2006 dodge ram 1500. I'm not sure if one of the cables hit some metal or what, but my IOD(ignition off draw) fuse blew. I didn't even know what this was prior to reading this thread. So thank you all for posting. It was very helpful.
My locks, radio, and some of my lights would not work after replacing the battery. When I started the truck, the dashboard displayed a "No Fuse" message.
I wasn't sure what that meant. After searching this forum I found out.
It was the IOD fuse located in the fuse box, near the battery. The fuse box is a black case about 6" wide and 10" long. Once you open it up by pressing down on the top and pulling out, you will see the fuses and a diagram on the inside of the top of the box. It will denote what each fuse is responsible for.
When replacing the IOD fuse, you'll want to pull up the casing until it won't pull up anymore. Don't force it. Then take a small screwdriver and pry open the top part of the casing. Once open, remove the fuse and replace it with a new one. Make sure not to get the "low profile" fuses. The relays won't be long enough to plug in the way they need to.
Once replaced, put the small plastic casing back on, push the larger plastic casing back into its regular position and that should be it.
Everything was functioning after I replaced the IOD fuse.

Thanks again guys!

Old 09-28-2013, 10:15 PM
glennelarson

The IOD (Ignition Off Drain) fuse on my 2000 Laramie had NO voltage on either side of it, We had to run a jumper wire from under the hood to the Batt side of the fuse. Now the OBD, Radio, dome light, mirrors, door locks, windows, all work.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:45 PM
dsmfreak21

some having a problem with my DakotaI was driving it the other day with no problems then the next day I went to go to the store I hoped in and tryed to start it and nothing happened I have no dome light brake lights nothing so I replaced the ignition switch thinking it was the problem I was wrong .so my question is has any one had this happen and if so do u know how to fix it Ihhave tested pretty much everything so ya any help would be much appreciated thank you

Old 06-21-2014, 05:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,920 Posts

How's your battery? Check fuses in the PDC under the hood?

May wanna post in the dakota section, they may be different than the full size trucks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I.O.D. (Ignition Off Drain) Fuse