2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

I.O.D. (Ignition Off Drain) Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 04:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillbilly Emes
was woundering if the i.o.d. or abs/RWAL fuse could case the speedo to quit working
What are you driving?

Old 02-09-2017, 09:24 PM
Shannon Oswald
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to Dodge Forum posts, I now have power mirrors again... and now maybe I can take the click light down from the roof of the cab and put the dome light back up... I could not figure out where the interior light fuse was.... I.O.D. means fuse for everything that doesn't already have it's own fuse, I guess.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's "Ignition Off Draw"...... Why they just can't call it an "accessory fuse" is beyond me.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:18 PM
bitterrootbull
Default I.O.D. Fuse

I want to thank everyone for this information to fix power to my radio and internal dome and aux/reading lights. I was installing a LED 3rd Brake/Cargo/Reverse light and of coarse, the new LED light fixture was not wired correctly. I was being impatient and rearranged some pins in the LED light fixture. It was only later I realized while doing so, I blew something. I too checked all fuses inside the engine compartment and fuse panel inside the truck, so I thought. The two yellow were marked Air Bags but I did pull them and check those because I saw a few posts saying that is where the IOD fuse was. I too was confused when the fuse cover said something totally different. I came back and read another Thread and I pulled the last one under the black cover and sure ****, that was the problem. 10 amp fuse, are you kidding me, I thought for sure it would be a minimum 15 amp but was leaning towards a 20 amp fuse. I didn't check these because of the size of the fuse.

Any ways gentlemen, thank you very much for the help.

As for switching my cargo light to LED, not sure I like them due to they are no where as bright as my OEM 3rd Brake/Cargo/Reverse fixture. Does anyone know how, if even possible, to brighten these damn things up?

Does anyone have any say one way or the other regarding LED HEAD LIGHTS OR LED TAIL LIGHTS?

Old 03-20-2017, 06:23 PM
dodgeram15001999
Unhappy Dodge Ram 1500 1999 IOD Fuse blow

Hello everyone.....I have problem with the Fuse number 12 IOD....on my Dodge Ram 1500 1999 Laramie 5.9..........

No radio work ...dome light,,,,,,,every light doesnt work,,,,,,Inside light .....Mirror electric not work too..

What is the problem...When I put a New Fuse......It blow after 5 seconds..

Thank you very much for your help...

Jc..........

Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You have a short somewhere. Need to find it.

Welcome to DF!

Old 03-20-2017, 07:26 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's what you do...

Get a 12v light bulb, a turn signal or tail light bulb. Solder some wires to it and stick it in where the fuse goes. The light will light up. Now go searching for your short. Check individual circuits, one at a time. (I'm betting a wire in the A pillar or up by the visors or such). Someplace where a screw might have pierced it or a wire got pinched. Any work done on your truck recently? Stereo install? ( try unplugging the whole stereo unit). When you find the circuit and/or the shorting issue, the light bulb will go out. This will not harm any wiring but may drain your battery, depending upon how long it takes you to troubleshoot.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:34 PM
olddog1970

I know this thread is kind of old but would like to add a little something to everyone talking about using a screwdriver or pliers and such to remove the IOD fuse. On my 1997 Ram 1500 all I had to do was pull the yellow clip out as far as it would go and then slowly push the holder in and the fuse would back out enough to pull it straight out of the back. Maybe mine is defective since it was so easy to do, I don't know.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:03 AM
computersavvy

Originally Posted by not2techie
Spent quite a significant amount of time looking thru my Haynes and owners manual to try and find out what IOD was. Should've known to just come here first! lol

I am having a similar problem as brents1986 had. Although, last fall when I could not locate any options (switches nor fuses) to turn off interior dome lights, I just pulled all of the bulbs out.

I hope I am posting this in the correct location (I have a very difficult time navigating on a phone) and the thread is not too old to get some replies.

Last week, I discovered that the exterior back up light, on top of the cab was on, many hours after I had parked the truck.
Was able to turn it off by pulling the IOD fuse out. And figured my immediate issue of battery drain was solved.

Found out today, I was wrong. Truck is deader than dead. Going to start diagnostics with a spare battery....but, of all things to go wrong, electrical is the worst for me. It is in fact what inspired my purchase of this Dodge last year...can't figure out why I have no tail lights in the old truck! (Yes, the wires, but where)

Anyway...any ideas what I should look for ?
in the 2001, Dodge 2500 5.9

TIA!
No tail lights? Check the fuse -- parking or clearance lights
If you also have no brake lights then it may be the connector under the rear of the bed.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:14 AM
computersavvy

Originally Posted by not2techie
Spent quite a significant amount of time looking thru my Haynes and owners manual to try and find out what IOD was. Should've known to just come here first! lol

I am having a similar problem as brents1986 had. Although, last fall when I could not locate any options (switches nor fuses) to turn off interior dome lights, I just pulled all of the bulbs out.

I hope I am posting this in the correct location (I have a very difficult time navigating on a phone) and the thread is not too old to get some replies.

Last week, I discovered that the exterior back up light, on top of the cab was on, many hours after I had parked the truck.
Was able to turn it off by pulling the IOD fuse out. And figured my immediate issue of battery drain was solved.
What you call the back up light is actually the cargo/dome light. It should come on when a door is opened and the dome lights come on, OR when turned on at the headlight switch. It should also go off when the dome lights go off.
It is one of the circuits powered by the IOD

Quick Reply: I.O.D. (Ignition Off Drain) Fuse