2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Considering the Dark Side...Somebody stop me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:47 PM
AlabamaRam95
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is good stuff...keep it coming.

...and i dont feel hijacked...really, i like the opinions.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:33 PM
700dollardodge
Professional

OP, 12v CTD or a 7.3L PS. chevy/isuzu can pwmb. that mega cab looks sick though, bad *** on the solid front axle and what a dana 70 out back? if youve got the cash and want it, get it.

im with ramman on this one though miami, easy there turbo.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:55 PM
elementalnature
Professional

Originally Posted by AlabamaRam95
im going to drive some diesels today...we shall see.

i dont know what vp44? and p-pump? and all this other jargain

gasoline is all i have ever known...and i like knowing a good bit about how things work.
If you're going for a megacab, they were only available on the third gens... not sure what years I think someone mentioned 06-07.5.

The VP44 and P-Pump were the types of fueling suppliers for first and second gen Cummins. The P-Pump was the best type of fuel supplier available, only downside is that it was all mechanical. That means there was no tuning or programming available.

The VP44 had its on faults and such and I'll be honest I'm not really familiar with the VP44 but I know a lot of people preferred the P-Pump over a VP44.

If you get a third gen Cummins, you'll have a Common Rail setup. A Common Rail setup is powered by a CP3 Fuel Pump feeding the injectors. These are the newest fueling suppliers for a diesel, and highly tunable and customizable.

The major thing with diesels are how you get fuel to the cylinders and how much you get there.

I'm going to recommend Cummins Forum if you want to learn before you go and make the decision.

Diesel has its advantages over gasoline but if you want a gasser then so be it.

Happy hunting ^.^

Old 10-20-2009, 02:39 PM
dodgeboy7
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And this is why i hate posting on this site, anytime anyone gets a chance to flame someone there all over them. GROW UP YOUR NOT 5 YEARS OLD ANYMORE. The whole point to this site is to help fellow dodge owners with truck problems.

Any way if you are looking at dodge diesel and are looking at a 24v cummis found in the 1998.5 to 2006.5 i would look at the casting number on the block and if it is "53" i walk away because they are own for creaking. You can look more up about this at a cummis forum on were on the block you can find this number. Also 24v have fuel pump or lifter pump problems they just go out alot done 2 on a buddys truck in 3weeks.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:50 PM
AlabamaRam95
All Star

Originally Posted by dodgeboy7
And this is why i hate posting on this site, anytime anyone gets a chance to flame someone there all over them. GROW UP YOUR NOT 5 YEARS OLD ANYMORE. The whole point to this site is to help fellow dodge owners with truck problems.

goosfraba

be cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixgPjvW1phU

Last edited by AlabamaRam95; 10-20-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:50 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

I love my 3rd gen btw, great truck!! I have the old 5.9 gasser though, so not much in common in terms of the hemi, or the cummins... but the interior is much more comfortable, and roomy than the old 2nd gens, I remember my 98. But I do know a little about the cummins, my current employer has a cummins, and his truck is great, he tows around a great big horse trailer all the time with a 500 gallon water tank and a pressure washer in it, and various other things. And his truck has done great for him, he lost his fuel pump, but that was expected, and he ran a higher flow fuel pump in there, got some larger injectors, and his truck is pretty f'in sick now. On the other hand, my mom has an 04 with the hemi, and she loves it, not a single problem with it as long as she has had it. She tows dump trailers with concrete in it, and even has concrete loaded down in her bed on a frequent basis, and her truck handles it perfectly fine. So either way you go I think you will be quite happy, all around it is an excellent truck!!!

Old 10-20-2009, 03:08 PM
AlabamaRam95
All Star

i think i have met a couple folks that have something in common with the hostile members of the DF community.

i couldnt quit laughing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AxPuUX50wk

so many of you remind me of this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbn__Tta_0E

Old 10-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 700dollardodge
im with ramman on this one though miami, easy there turbo.
Good thing I get the final say.

Like I said, having a different opinion is welcomed. Just making snarky commentary designed to elicit more of the same is unconstructive and unhelpful.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:40 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
No no no no no no no no!

Not all Diesels were/are created equal. It doesn't happen. Every single Diesel motor out there has some sort of pit fall.
Well, no ****!!!! Every vehicle on this damn planet has a pitfall!!!! Hemis, LS series, and Modular engines all have their problems. No different than what your saying that Cummins, Duramaxes, and Powerstrokes do. But since were talking about Dodge trucks and diesels, that automatically means were talking about Cummins. And that is what I meant.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:12 PM
AlabamaRam95
All Star

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Well, no ****!!!! Every vehicle on this damn planet has a pitfall!!!! Hemis, LS series, and Modular engines all have their problems. No different than what your saying that Cummins, Duramaxes, and Powerstrokes do. But since were talking about Dodge trucks and diesels, that automatically means were talking about Cummins. And that is what I meant.

no way dude... my truck is perfect. ...lol

Quick Reply: Considering the Dark Side...Somebody stop me!