2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Considering the Dark Side...Somebody stop me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:30 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey though, it IS your call on gas vs. diesel. Just if I was buying a new(er) truck today, I know I'd look hard for a common rail 5.9 Quad Cab with a Manual.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've typed all this up before, but I'll do it again since this thread seems to be hot right now.

This is the common issue with forums. It's not a voice to voice conversation. In essence, it requires us to have knowledge of what certain characters in our language means. Example- ? ! . Considering that those three symbols combined with the word usage, is our only means to figure out tone, you will have some misunderstandings.

Example: Man, I smoked that ricer jerk. ( Are you being serious, joking,????)
Man, I smoked that ricer jerk! (Are you being sarcastic, or???)

Get the point?

Since it's so hard for people to understand tone in our language, it causes little flame wars to break out. It's not funny, it's not nice. It's embarrassing. Not many people here can take one line hits, and I'm one of them.

It's just something to keep in mind as you read what other people post. What may be a simple sentence, can be over analyzed and people get pissed.

Another example: You're a jerk. (Am I being serious, hateful, joking??? You have no clue)

Old 10-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Hey though, it IS your call on gas vs. diesel. Just if I was buying a new(er) truck today, I know I'd look hard for a common rail 5.9 Quad Cab with a Manual.
Quad cabs are grandpap as hell

Old 10-20-2009, 09:54 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Quad Cabs are awesome!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cereal Killer
Quad cabs are grandpap as hell
Now, them's fightin' words!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:07 PM
AlabamaRam95
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOLOL

i know they are...but i realy want the space and i really want a megacab. i have my 95 (the new toy) and i have the commander...but i would really like a land barge...lol.

i am doing some pretty serious research on these trucks and i will be for a week or more if neccessary.

as far as one liners and getting pissed goes...nah...

i enjoy this forum and enjoy the information that comes from it. i even enjoy acting like i know what im talking about every now and again. take your truck seriously and take the forum lightly...lots of SUPER information here and some great comradery to be had.

remember...its "YOUR" truck, and when its all said and done...this is a forum. sooner or later we will all have to take "OUR" trucks into the real world...where you can "REALLY" enjoy it.

enjoy the forum!

oh yeah...and thanks for the advice...keep it cummins (no pun intended...i know...cheezy)

Old 10-21-2009, 01:46 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlabamaRam95
LOLOL

i know they are...but i realy want the space and i really want a megacab. i have my 95 (the new toy) and i have the commander...but i would really like a land barge...lol.
If that's the case, you ought to look at a 2002 excursion with a 7.3 powerstroke. Or a triton v-10. Excursions kick ***.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:56 AM
elementalnature
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgeboy7

Any way if you are looking at dodge diesel and are looking at a 24v cummis found in the 1998.5 to 2006.5 i would look at the casting number on the block and if it is "53" i walk away because they are own for creaking. You can look more up about this at a cummis forum on were on the block you can find this number. Also 24v have fuel pump or lifter pump problems they just go out alot done 2 on a buddys truck in 3weeks.

53 Blocks suck. I forget where the numbers are located. I know one spot is on the bottom of the block. The other one I think might be around the water pump?

The blocks are known for cracking around the heads I believe and they're usually magnafluxed. Again, I forget most of this information. Hang on, I'm going to pop over to the CTD Forum.

Five minutes later: Found it! All of your 53 block info.

But actually alot of this is off topic. He wants a 3rd gen which is a CP3 setup if he is going for diesel.

If you want my final opinion. Buy an 07 Megacab Cummins with all of the options. Then we'll go from there.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:10 AM
AlabamaRam95
All Star

im looking... i cant seem to find a megacab diesel. guess that means its a good truck.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:16 PM
elementalnature
Professional

Originally Posted by AlabamaRam95
im looking... i cant seem to find a megacab diesel. guess that means its a good truck.
They are well sought after. The Cummins is an excellent engine mainly because its a six-cylinder and uses non-conventional methods of building and previously fueling.

A lot of early diesels, pre-2003, had their own specific fueling supply. Cummins had VP44 and P-Pumps, Powerstrokes had the HEUI setup, and I'm not real sure what Duramax had...

The Cummins, being a six-cylinder has less moving parts, less failure points, easier on the wallet if something breaks, and is easy to diagnose and fix.

Dodge just started to fsck everything with CP3s and the EPA stepped in with its emissions ****... that's when everything for a diesel went to hell.

Quick Reply: Considering the Dark Side...Somebody stop me!