2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4" front coil spacer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:34 PM
MAJohns
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tires are a must gears aren't. i have a $165 a week day care bill two cell bills, insurance on 2 cars, truck and car payment, house note, GAS, diapers, house insurance, i also have a trailer on some more land i own. plus all the things that come along with owning a house food **** paper and so forth.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:36 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Look if you are going to yell at me pm me so this thread dont get clogged up.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
No thats them just installed I'm looking at just under 600 for gears.
Damn. That would have been awesome. Oh well $1350 still isn't bad for a re-gear. Where you getting it done?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:41 PM
MAJohns
Captain

im not yelling at you. if i keep the truck i will do all that but while i am making payments i am gonna get it paid off. i did my lift, rims and tires from selling my other toy.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:42 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

J&B motorsports in Pottstown PA

http://www.j-bmotorsports.com/

Old 11-09-2009, 09:47 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Cereal Killer
Alright, true. Axle articulation (or lack their of) would only be an issue 95% of the time in an offroad situation, or on really crappy roads. However I'm assuming that if you're spending the money to lift your 4x4 truck, and buy oversized mud tires that cost twice as much as normal tires, and last half as long, that you are going to be taking your truck offroad.

Ok, Now don't get defensive...I'm only asking you to clarify a statement. Have you actually seen a truck with a spacer not articulate?
Sometimes articulation is everything, and sometimes with the proper equipment its not even needed (ie: front/rear lockers) Articulation is dependent on other factors besides spacers. For instance, not having your factory swaybars hooked up can make a world of difference in how a vehicle flexes off road. I suppose, that in theory, a spacer might inhibit full compression...and I agreed that a 4 inch spacer may have limited usage in a trail rig.

Back where I lived out west there were a LOT of guys who built HUGE trucks with MONSTER tires that would run and hide from a mud puddle. Then there were guys with stock trucks, which with a bit of skill and LUCK (read my sig) could go places you'd think they'd never get in, or out of.

Last edited by dsertdog56; 11-09-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
Ok, Now don't get defensive...I'm only asking you to clarify a statement. Have you actually seen a truck with a spacer not articulate?
Sometimes articulation is everything, and sometimes with the proper equipment its not even needed (ie: front/rear lockers) Articulation is dependent on other factors besides spacers. For instance, not having your factory swaybars hooked up can make a world of difference in how a vehicle flexes off road. I suppose, that in theory, a spacer might inhibit full compression...hmmmm
Back where I lived out west there were a LOT of guys who built HUGE trucks with MONSTER tires that would run and hide from a mud puddle. Then there were guys with stock trucks, which with a bit of skill and LUCK (read my sig) could go places you'd think they'd never get in, or out of.
Not defensive

In truth, no, I've never first hand seen a situation where someone got screwed because of a spacer, but it makes sense in theory. Now with a 2" spacer probably not, but with a 5" spacer I'm thinking it would definitely limit the axles ability to travel. So perhaps "articulation" was not really the correct word so much as "flex", or "travel". I mean think about it. The springs compression ratio isn't going to get softer because you put that spacer on there, and the steel spacer isn't going to compress. There fore when one side of the axle is pushed upward, it would not be able to travel upward as far as it would if said spacer was replaced with longer springs. Therefore the opposite side of the axle would not be able to travel as far downward (like it would if you had longer coils.) Spacers have no ability to stretch or compress.

At least that's what I'm thinking. I know there are other things that contribute, such as you said, but I'm simply trying to highlight the benefits of longer coils vs. spacers.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:11 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Ok...But I'm going to respectfully disagree with you All things within moderation, spacers do not limit articulation or flex, however you will not have the ability to compress the entire suspension vs an open spring. Spacers, by design, would act as a stop to keep axles from striking frame rails, but may also initiate coil bind without proper stops.
But an open spring, without limiters could allow for other types of contact.

As you can see by these pics, I have no problems flexing my truck with spacers...I have no spring bind under compression, and a bit too much extension (springs were loose in bucket even with limit straps) which is why I bought the springs I ended up selling you. I figured another inch would tighten things up nicely.
Oh...my front sway bar is disconnected....

Last edited by dsertdog56; 11-14-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
however you will not have the ability to compress the entire suspension vs an open spring.
That is what i'm thinking would limit travel.

Although as I can see in your picture, no you don't have any problems. and I can see how a spacer may actually work as a prevenative measure to keep you from stuffing your tire, or from traveling too far. Never thought of it that way before.

Oh yeah, thanks for the springs again btw. They look better on my truck

Old 11-09-2009, 10:37 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

I'm only trying to (and as nicely as possible) correct possible misinformation. Even worse, there's a lot of rigged up crap on the street thats gonna give someone trouble someday.
Spacers, as whole, allow you to keep your stock ride IF you add the proper pieces to complete the installation correctly as far as factory geometry. That includes longer arms and trackbar mounting points. But there is a point of diminishing returns, and that magic number is 4, as in 4 inches. At that point your factory mounting points limit geometry and ride quality, at least the quality that the factory folks designed into the truck. At that point you must compromise your buttocks, or start modding your truck beyond stock parameters.
Because of this, I have never been a fan of putting springs from a truck that weighs another 600 lbs or more on a lighter truck. Yes it lifts the suspension. But if the spring rate is that high those springs are constantly unloaded (Partial extension) In theory the truck should ride like an overinflated basketball. You may not want to admit it...
Back in the day, gearheads would try to jack up thier coil springed Chivies by replacing the stock rear springs with front truck coils. Worked like a charm, handled and rode like S***!

Last edited by dsertdog56; 11-09-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 4" front coil spacer?