2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Carpet soaked, not from coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:25 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by de8212
I went out earlier and noticed a good amount of h2o on the far left side of the bench seat and puddling down below on the side of the seat. Looked up and I believe this might be where I have a leak. How is this fixed? Does the black piece need to be replaced? Does it need silicone?
i just went and got some clear caulk and caulked around the window and kinda just like sealed up those holes on both sides and used my finger and a rag to try to keep it neat

but the first time i did it i used window rope (its kinda like play doh) in those holes

i hope this helps you out

Old 11-12-2009, 08:05 AM
de8212
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks dodgeram07. So, you had to do it twice? Once with window rope and once with caulk? Is caulk better than silicone?

Old 11-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you can remove the cowl.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:41 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

I know, I should have elaborated more. I removed the plastic cowl, and took some RTV and sealed up the suspected body seem(very hard as you have to shove your arm through a tiny opening). I was in too much of a hurry to get it all back together and completely forgot to snap a pic. Anyway, no more trail of water. Before I could run water down around the air inlet duct, and see a small stream running down into my cab. So I hope it holds and keeps me dry for a while. Thanks for all the advice.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:01 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by de8212
Thanks dodgeram07. So, you had to do it twice? Once with window rope and once with caulk? Is caulk better than silicone?
the window rope was just a quick fix but worked great/look bad

so when it warmed up outside i caulked it with silicone,,, it can get messy fast so take your time and have a rag and maybe sum goof off stuff

best of luck to you

and just keep a eye on it,, in a few months most likely in the summer time the heat will make it contack and you may need to add more

Old 11-13-2009, 09:22 PM
tboss
Rookie

my mystery leak turned out to be the trash and gook that had built up in the fender under the pass side hindge,,if you look down into the cabvity where the hood hindge lives you will probably see it esp. if you park her under trees,,,cleaned mine out and nomore leak.. fashioned a piece of styrofoam to close the hole up enough to keep the leaves out and no more leak try it it might work for you also

Quick Reply: Carpet soaked, not from coolant