2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Carpet soaked, not from coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Carpet soaked, not from coolant

well I started working on the stereo system today....and when I ripped the threashold and edge of the carpet along the door and backI noticed the padding is completly soaked...the carpet is dry because there is a layer of rubber under it between it and the padding..... so i know I have to find out where its comming from (doesnt smell sweet and appears clear) but my question is do you thing there is any way I can dry it out without fighting with trying to remove the rusty seat bolts? I plan on ripping it out and coating the floor with rust-zero and reinstalling in the spring but I would like to dry this out now.... do you think a heater in the cab will help at all? or maybe heating from underneath?....
damnit I really wanted to find newer power seats before ripping this all apart and I'm tapped right now...
I do know I should check the rear middle brake light seal although that all looks good....I really think its just been wet since before I got it as the carpet was soaked on one side then and no air gets to it to dry...

Old 11-10-2009, 09:12 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check here to.... this black windows are the same 94-97
Name:  prom08027-1.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  72.4 KB

for me it was the thrid brake light and the window

Old 11-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

thanks....will do..... I did look it over briefly when washing it a couple weeks ago and it looked ok as far as no rust or anything.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:45 AM
RamSport97
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this on the driver side and passenger side? As said above, check the 3rd brake light for a proper seal, then make sure your A/C drain hose is not plugged up.

As far as drying goes, I just left the seats in, pealed up the carpet and padding, and put a small fan on it over night. Dry as a bone in the morning.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:28 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker
Default Bedlining the floorboard

Well guys, I can't find the reason my carpet keeps getting wet. There are no leaks what so ever, the A/C drain is working properly, heater core is fine, the liquid is pure clear water with no sweet smell to it. And it pools up big time on the passenger floor, and a little on the drivers. So, I am done with it, and I am about sick of this truck. With that said, has anyone bedlined their floorboards? I herculined the bed of my truck with great results, and I think I might just rip out the carpet and herculine the floor. I am tired of smelling mold and mildew and quite frankly, I don't think this problem will ever be solved.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

have you checked the third brake light gasket? when that leaks it'll put water up front on the floor. it seeps under the carpet and thats how it gets up front.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:40 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
have you checked the third brake light gasket? when that leaks it'll put water up front on the floor. it seeps under the carpet and thats how it gets up front.
Sorry I meant to add that I even replaced the third brake light because of a crack, then sealed the new one with a new gasket, as well as RTV. Carpet is still soaked.

Thanks Sherrif!

Old 11-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

im curious top find the source of my flooding too....

Old 11-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you ought to find that leak. sit in the truck and have someone slowly go around the doors, windshield, 3rd brake (could be leaking again) and maybe the firewall too with a water hose while you keep an eye on what they're spraying. take the sprayer tip off the hose so it will be a heavy stream.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:37 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

Sherrif, I did that, not with anybody in the truck, but i took the sprayer nozel off, and let the hose sit on the roof, first i let it run down the windsheild, made sure i got the whole windsheild, then i turned it around and let it run down the back window and 3rd brake light, then ran it around the doors and checked all the weather stripping. Every 5 minutes on the dot I would open the doors and check, I had the carpet peeled up so I could see, didn't see one leak. I guess I need to check the firewall, this is just baffling me.

I'll pull out the seats and carpet (AGAIN) and see if I can get a buddy to come over and hose everything down.

Quick Reply: Carpet soaked, not from coolant