2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question for those who have herculined rockers

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^ no it looks like flat black rubber....although its still shiny in spots on the upper sides where it doesnt see as much direct sun light so....
the key really is making sure its stirred well (and stays stirred) this wil give you an even coating of agrigate in two coats and if it looks uneven just hit the spots again or with a brush....my rocker really looks fine after just two coats though (I did it with a brush because my roller pad was shot from bed) and no overspray to worry about....the stuff is a bitch to clean up you need xylene to clean it.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:04 AM
imhotep
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
^ no it looks like flat black rubber....although its still shiny in spots on the upper sides where it doesnt see as much direct sun light so....
the key really is making sure its stirred well (and stays stirred) this wil give you an even coating of agrigate in two coats and if it looks uneven just hit the spots again or with a brush....my rocker really looks fine after just two coats though (I did it with a brush because my roller pad was shot from bed) and no overspray to worry about....the stuff is a bitch to clean up you need xylene to clean it.
Yeah I heard that stuff as a real PITA to clean if it gets on anything. I was thinking of having my Brother-In-Law use the drill to keep it stirred up while I painted it on. I was going to do more than 2 coats but I think that two should be fine. I am going to do the rockers the plastic parts of the bumpers and my brush guard.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by imhotep
Yeah I heard that stuff as a real PITA to clean if it gets on anything. I was thinking of having my Brother-In-Law use the drill to keep it stirred up while I painted it on. I was going to do more than 2 coats but I think that two should be fine. I am going to do the rockers the plastic parts of the bumpers and my brush guard.
use some good solvent on the plastic first its likely loaded with old waxes and cleaners....and rough it up good or it wont stick long.....
I just stirred min about every two mins... If you use a brush its actually cleaner and you have more control imho....you dab it on instead of brushing.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:18 AM
imhotep
Professional

Yeah. I was going to use the roller for the first coat and then use a cheap-o brush for the second coat. I also agree with the use of a really good solvent on the plastic. I have no desire to redo this anytime soon.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:20 PM
imhotep
Professional

Auggie have you noticed if the Herculiner is shrinking any with exposure to the sun? I have heard that it might do that, but have wondered if that is because the surface prep near the edges is not quite as good as the prep farther in.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:41 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys, chiming in here because i am kinda trying to decide if i want this done to mine... i have the white truck but like if ya look ^^ up^^^ at imhotep's signiture,,, where his gray is i want black, i dont want to do that middle line... so if ya can, i would greatly aprreiciate ( i know i cant spell, but oh well) if you did a DIY with pics...

Old 11-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by imhotep
Auggie have you noticed if the Herculiner is shrinking any with exposure to the sun? I have heard that it might do that, but have wondered if that is because the surface prep near the edges is not quite as good as the prep farther in.
I heard that too but mine hasnt yet?....of course up here in buffalo we dont have as bad of an issue with the sun peeling and fading auto paints and finishes....(or the dashes cooking and crumbling as much apparently.
We Do however enjoy road salt and the joys or rust from it!

Old 11-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by meanwhitemopar
hey guys, chiming in here because i am kinda trying to decide if i want this done to mine... i have the white truck but like if ya look ^^ up^^^ at imhotep's signiture,,, where his gray is i want black, i dont want to do that middle line... so if ya can, i would greatly aprreiciate ( i know i cant spell, but oh well) if you did a DIY with pics...
I stoped mine at the slight bodyline below the one your speaking of....looks less obtrusive and cleaner in my opinion (i have a black truck)..... I see the guys who go nuts with the stuff and the first thing that pops into my mind is it must be a rustbucket underneath.... remember this stuff has a very rough texture and gets dirty and holds dirt very easily.....I would maybe try doing just the lower rocker like I did or maybe even trying some of the colored rhinoliner (they have white I think) or gray.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:09 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a gallon and applied 4 coats... get the UV protectant... if it fades or shrinks.. just add another coat very easy and cheap

Old 11-19-2009, 11:28 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i have no rust so far as i can tell, i have checked the bottom lips of my doors, inside and out, no bubbling or anything... so i want to protect it now, rather then latter... i will probably do the rockers like iwhitne has his... but do my full bumper due to its already black... and be done with the plastics falling fof that too....

Quick Reply: Question for those who have herculined rockers