2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question for those who have herculined rockers

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:02 AM
imhotep
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question for those who have herculined rockers

I am beginning to prep Big Red for herculining the rockers but i have a question. I know several of you have put more than 2 coats on your rockers and I wonder....The herculiner instructions say to take the tape off after the second coat so that it will come off, but how do you handle the tape if you do 3 or 4 coats? (I mean the tape covering the sections you don't want herculined). I am planning on taping/masking off the entire truck except for the rockers and spraying the herculiner on. Also do any of you have a recommendation for a spray gun? I got one when I bought my air compressor, it is the typical paint gun with the paint jar that attaches to the gun itself. I really appreciate everyone's response because that will ensure this project comes out right!

Old 11-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when i did my bed i took the tape off right after i got the first wet with the second coat. i would imagine that after the second coat has dried a little that you could just put another strip of tape on and do it just like the first two coats.

wouldn't a spray gun get clogged up with the rubber chunks in herculiner?

Old 11-16-2009, 10:03 AM
imhotep
Professional

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
when i did my bed i took the tape off right after i got the first wet with the second coat. i would imagine that after the second coat has dried a little that you could just put another strip of tape on and do it just like the first two coats.

wouldn't a spray gun get clogged up with the rubber chunks in herculiner?
thanks Sheriff....I was thinking the same thing about the spray gun but I have seen others spraying it on. Some one mentioned that Northern Tools had one that would spray the herculiner for about 10 bucks, but since I already had one I figured that I would use that...assuming it works.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

its very easy to get it even and thick by rolling or brushing it on too....esp after three coats actually seems like it would be much less work that way too esp if your doing the lower door sill and such....I did one of mine yesterday.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:24 AM
imhotep
Professional

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
its very easy to get it even and thick by rolling or brushing it on too....esp after three coats actually seems like it would be much less work that way too esp if your doing the lower door sill and such....I did one of mine yesterday.
How long did it take Auggie? We have 3 cars and I am planning to working on this over the next couple of weeks while driving the van. We already have a paint roller at the house so i would just need to find a sleeve that would work with Herculiner. What kind of roller comes with the kit?

Old 11-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

i believe the name is stipple. its sort of like a scrub pad.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
i believe the name is stipple. its sort of like a scrub pad.
yes and if you buy the gallon kit it comes with the roller and two roller pads.....you will need a cheap bruck to dab into tight corners....it doesnt take long....remember to sand the paint with rough grit paper of wire brush to give the herc something to stick to....thats the biggest mistake most people make.each side only takes about a half hr to actually tape off and coat....with a 10-15 mins on additional coats... the bed takes much longer

Old 11-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

herculiner tech support recommends 60 grit sand paper.

i used a mouse sander for the paint and a flap wheel on the grinder for the rust.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:37 AM
imhotep
Professional

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
yes and if you buy the gallon kit it comes with the roller and two roller pads.....you will need a cheap bruck to dab into tight corners....it doesnt take long....remember to sand the paint with rough grit paper of wire brush to give the herc something to stick to....thats the biggest mistake most people make.each side only takes about a half hr to actually tape off and coat....with a 10-15 mins on additional coats... the bed takes much longer
The PO LINEX the bed so thats done. I was planning on using a scuffing disk on my drill to rough up the paint and then do the Herculiner. I have a cheap-o brush and will try and find a stipple roller to roll it on with.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

get a bottle or two of the uv protectant so you won't have the cracking/fading problem.

Quick Reply: Question for those who have herculined rockers