2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lets see your intake!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 12:43 AM
wake
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no one is going to make a comment on how rusty my head bolts are ??

Old 01-18-2010, 12:44 AM
yakkier
Banned

looks like mine...

Old 01-29-2010, 12:59 PM
jtheshowstoppper
Amateur

so wheres the diy for the 14x3 at?

Old 01-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sethcorn
I see alot of you guys like the 14x3 if I go that route would you keep the paper ring filter or go with a K&N ring? I've also been looking at the AirRaid system, I like the way that looks any opinion on the open cone? I will do a little dusty road driving but I see the air raid has a oiled sleeve. Shouldn't be doing too much water jumping.
In most air filter studies i've read, paper filters are better then K&N or other oiled filters when you look at filtering efficiency. Most paper filters can capture over 98% (and some over 99%), where as K&N comes in at something like 95%-96%. Paper filters can also hold more dirt then a K&N or oiled filter and still work effectively. The tradeoff though is that K&N has less air flow restriction. So, you basically have to decide for yourself if you prefer better filtration, or more air flow. If you drive a lot of dusty dirt roads, i think I would choose filtration.

I personally run the paper filter. I tried the K&N in my round filter assembly, and noticed no difference over the paper. I think the round filter assembly provides more then suffiecient air flow, even with a paper filter, so switching to a K&N doesn't provide any additional benefit. Given this, i'll take better filtration, so I run paper. I notice my TB stays cleaner with the paper filter, so that is enough to satisfy me. The downside is that you have to replace the paper filter from time to time, whereas the K&N can be "recharged".

Here's some good reading:
http://getdieselpower.com/misc_auto/...r_Testing.html
http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

Old 01-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jtheshowstoppper
so wheres the diy for the 14x3 at?
See #25 here:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...diy-links.html

Also, here are some other DIY's that came out ofter the ones in the above link. We really need to get all these put together in one place a little better.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-faqs-143/

Old 05-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Mr-Sleeper-34

Originally Posted by wjxavier
stock airbox ftw...low end torque, plus i gain some high end because of my headers. i think i finally have it where i want it now...haha
^What headers are you running?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

^I was thinking about picking up this intake, but I keep hearing guys talk about low end lost. What is the average lost people are feeling/seeing? Is there a dyno thread you can direct me too?

Last edited by Mr-Sleeper-34; 05-06-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You won't have any low end loss with an air cleaner like that and it is better than a stock air box.
Some people say that you lose a little with the 14x3 air filter but I can't feel any.
The gains in the upper rpms make a 14x3 worth getting.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:41 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i just installed my new eldlebrock airpro will have pics ,took off my K&N CAI , will let you know if theres a difference

Old 05-05-2010, 04:48 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Guess I'll admit to using a 14x3. I replaced the original paper filter with a Spectre element.
I had the stock airbox, and the K&N FUPK...I mean FIPK. Worst money I ever spent in 35 years of "performance mods". I wish I'd known about the 3 inch conduit trick.
I can't speak for others based on thier trucks state of tune or thier butt dynos, but if I lost any low end with the 14x3 it would have to a lot for me to notice. It already has the low end of a Turtle on Valium.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
In most air filter studies i've read, paper filters are better then K&N or other oiled filters when you look at filtering efficiency.
I took mine to a shop a while back. When I picked up the truck the mechanic handed me my K&N in a plastic baggie and asked me please not to put it back in. He felt strongly enough about it that he had installed a paper one and wasn't even charging me for it.

Quick Reply: Lets see your intake!