2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Learned stuff bout my truck! Couple ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 06:42 AM
lblair04
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Learned stuff bout my truck! Couple ?'s

Hey all,

I just took off my K&N CAI to A) check # to see if its one of those recalled intakes and B) see if my plenum is shot...guess what...it is! Will look more into APS or Hughes kit

While I was feeling ambitious, I changed the upper bypass hose. It looked intimidating to take the accessory bracket off, but it wasnt too bad. Just wish I had the money right now to do the plenum plate and full tune up. I have been having a coolant leak, and it appeared to be pooling around the bypass hose. I already replaced the thermo housing gasket, and that wasnt it. Next step is water pump and timing cover gasket.

My question is...I pulled the metal coolant tube out of the water pump, cause it looked wet around it too. I want to replace the o-ring, but it looks like it is a flat o-ring. Was it a regular rounded o-ring when new? Can I just match it up with a regular o-ring's diameter?

Sorry this is so long, just wanted to say thanks to all that have posted, cause it is so much help!! It was fun to do a little tearing into my truck!

Old 11-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^ Regular O-Ring. Just take the tube and the old O-ring to your FLAPS and they can find you a match. I had to do the same thing when I replaced my water pump. Also, pay attention to how you reinstall the t-stat housing if the tab is ground off. There is a slight curve in it that should be pointing to the front (radiator) of the truck.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:06 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good idea to add some rtv sealant around the coolant tube just above the o-ring as well

Old 11-27-2009, 04:00 PM
1fast2liter
Captain

if ur leaking coolant look around the timing cover.. mine started as a leak then as the truck warmed up it would **** out.. replaced with kit and highflow waterpump from napa.. also did timing chain and gear set from napa all at the same time.... was easy to do it while it was all torn apart at the same time.... use a very thin bead of rtv on both sides...

Old 11-27-2009, 04:04 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

timing cover is a nuesense, i replace the water pump thinkin that was my coolant leak, and when i got it back together it was the timing cover, so i had to tear it apart again to replace that....good time to change chain as well.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:08 PM
lblair04
Veteran

Alright. Only thought about replacing timing chain...if I replace the chain (brand new) and the cam and lifters are both 10 years old, wouldnt that throw some things off??

Wife is on the way to get distilled water, kitty litter and o-ring.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:13 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lblair04
Alright. Only thought about replacing timing chain...if I replace the chain (brand new) and the cam and lifters are both 10 years old, wouldnt that throw some things off??
no. cam and lifter wear will ever so slightly reduce valve opening - which is a little bad. but timing chain wear causes timing shift which is very bad.

replacing timing chain and sprockets (combined with fixing plenum) will improve the motor a lot.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:52 PM
lblair04
Veteran

Is a dual roller timing chain from NAPA a good upgrade? Comes with sprockets for $65. I would rather buy local than have to pay out the a$$ for shipping to AK.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Trey318
Captain

The Cloyes double roller from AZ was a lot cheaper than that I thought.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:20 PM
1fast2liter
Captain

napa is a lifetime warentie

Quick Reply: Learned stuff bout my truck! Couple ?'s