2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to remove oil pump? How long does it take??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:08 PM
nathangfnd
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove oil pump? How long does it take??

I was driving and my pressure dropped to zero and the oil is at a good level but no pressure i have check the sensor and all seems good and im getting current to it so i dont think its that.

So i took and topped of the oil and i put sea foam in it to see if it would smoke, But the truck does not smoke at all, ad there is a small ticking sound coming from the engine, probably the lack of oil on the rockers but i pulled the valve covers and they are fine. and ive never run more then 30 seconds at zero pressure

I think i need a new oil pump but ive never messed with one before so im not sure where its located and what i need to do to get to it, ive been told in the oil pan but on google it says its by the radiator dunno why but it says you must remove it to access it not sure what year that was for.

And how long should it take to replace it, I have work at 7 am and if i have to ill call in and tell them i have truck troubles.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:11 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'd be surprised if the oil pump is actually broke, but you never know.
the pickup screen might be clogged up, or broke.

here's a good how to from pavement.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-31.html

the hardest part is removing the ****ing starter.
assuming you've never done it before, and nothing goes wrong and you get the starter off with normal effort, i'd guess about 4 hours.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:15 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

how do you know the sending unit is good? did you swap it?
i'd do that before i dropped the oil pan.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:21 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

i am kinda guessing it may be the pickup screen, i just changed the oil about 4 weeks ago and like 500 miles max and when i noticed there was no pressure and after a not finding a problem i took and drain the oil.

The oil was so black and milky, I came out so slow usually it shoots way out and hits my steering stabilizer bracket but this time it dropped strait down.

would the oil being so thick cause it to clog? and why would it turn black like that?

If the pickup screen was clogged is it simply just cleaning it or replace it.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:34 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

i think i may just drain the oil tonight and see whats wrong. then ill pick oil up tomorrow morning and try fix it.

Do i have to jack the motor up to replace the pump? some sight on google says you need to lift it 3-4 inches with a chain hoist or jack, again im not sure on what year that is it just says Dodge Ram

Old 11-29-2009, 08:49 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

didn't need to lift mine. 2wd BTW, not sure what yours is.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:00 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

well she is 4wd but got her off without lifting the engine. the haynes manual says you have to but i got around it fairly easy by lowering a litlle then pulling it to the front of the engine so that the back could tip down.

I got the oil pump out and the sending unit(I think, a pipe connected to a filter/screen) was clogged up, must have got leaf or something in it when i did the intake manifold, i tried to clean the best i could and i covered the holes but some junk must have slipped in.

I took and i cleaned the screen the best i could with some sea faom, and high pressure air, nothing seems to be in it anymore but do you think i should just get a new one since its out?

Old 11-29-2009, 09:23 PM
xray99
Banned

I would most certainly install a new one after going that far with it.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:36 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI the sending unit is on the back of the block behind the intake. Its a black thing that looks like a film canister

Old 11-29-2009, 09:53 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

well whats the piece called that is connected to the fuel pump and hangs by a pipe and has a screen in it.

anyways its cleaned out and ill put it in tomorrow when i can get some more rtv and oil and stuff.

I was hoping not spend much this weekend but my god.
Auto parts store(oil, coolant, rtv) around $200
Tools around $150

Quick Reply: How to remove oil pump? How long does it take??