2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to remove oil pump? How long does it take??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:51 AM
moparama
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the prime and did you try what i said about blowing air through? Also if you didnt line up the oil pump drive shaft ive heard if you dont that that can crack the piece on the pump itself if not lined up. and i hope you didnt use any type of rtv or what not between pump and rear main. should only use that thin *** paper gasket.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:45 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

well im running tomorrow to get a new pump and im going to put it in.

yes i primed it

no i didnt use rtv on pump(did use some on oil pan)

Never messed with an oil pump so what is the rear main seal

Old 12-02-2009, 08:00 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its in between the motor and tranny. http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-31.html

Old 10-22-2012, 08:58 AM
tabrun

I researched this post for a similar problem and wanted to pass along what I learned.

2000 Dodge Ram 1500, 2WD, 5.2L V8

My pressure gauged bottomed out several times while driving on the highway. I thought it was a sensor problem, but after I heard ticking from the engine, I knew it was a true oil pressure problem.

My son has done a lot of mechanic work and said it could either be (1) a clog somewhere, (2) a collapsed oil filter, or (3) a faulty pump.

So I replaced the filter and added a quart of tranny fluid (to help dissolve any clogs), but the problem persisted, so I bought a new pump.

My manual said I needed to jack the engine up, but I was able to remove/install the pan without doing this. There was one bracket between the transmission and engine block that obstructed access to some of the pan bolts, but this was simple to remove.

Oil pan had no buildup of sludge. The pump suction screen was clean and the tube had no obstructions. I could spin the pump and oil came out, so I was thought that there was no problem with the pump, but I replaced it anyway.

I then filled the engine with new oil and half a can of Sea Foam to tackle any residual clogging.

The pressure returned to normal and driving for 30 minutes showed no issues.

Lastly, my son who helped with the installation said this was the easiest oil pump he ever worked on.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:25 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't leave the Seafoam in it. Change the oil and use a quart of Rislone in place of a quart of oil at every oil change and your motor will last longer and be kept clean.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:35 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I changed the oil pump on my sisters Ram this year, hers is a 4x4 sport. You can fit under the truck & weasel the oil pan off without jacking the truck up or taking a bunch of stuff off. I took the transmission inspection plate off and took the back of the 2 motor to trans brackets off and left the front of the brackets loose to hang there and then the pan squeezed right in. I did it freezing in winter taking my time in about 2 hours.

The thing I would be most worried about is installing the new oil pickup on the new pump & making sure its straight and doesn't wiggle loose. I know some guys will put a spot weld on so it can't unscrew itself but you would think tightning it would do the trick, I tightened my sisters oil pump pickup down pretty far. $25 for new pump and $12 for new oil pickup from O'Reilly. My sisters had a good pump but I put a new one in anyway since I was already going through the trouble, her oil pickup was full of sludge,gasket meterial & permatex from the previous owner who made & tested his own intakes on the truck. He unfortunately was a dumb @$$ and left all his gasket shavings in the engine which all ended up in the oil pickup.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 10-22-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:12 PM
markmaggie
Default ineed help

how do i change the oil pump on my 2001 dodge van 1500? is there ayone who can help me

Old 03-04-2014, 11:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

May have to lift the engine in a van...... not sure on that. (I am betting that it ISN'T 4wd.....)

Post up in the van section, folks there will know.

Quick Reply: How to remove oil pump? How long does it take??