2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What's a fair asking price for my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:19 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
It looks like I'm on that same path....at least with the issues being so common I didnt have to search long to find answers
Yeah I was on that path at one time. At the time I thought hey I want to keep this truck forever. I realized it wouldn't be my DD or anything like that and it wouldn't even be my main vehicle but everyone needs a truck at times so thought I'd keep it for those times. So I dumped a ton of money into it and then a year and a half later really just started getting tired of it.

I would seriously think about how long you really are going to want to keep it before you dump a ton of money into it. If you aren't going to keep it that long I'd get rid of it before you have to do all of the repairs. If you plan to keep it for quite a while then the repairs aren't so bad.

Which problems are you having now?

Old 12-03-2009, 08:16 AM
moparama
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will add this i turned in my '07 f-150 and bought this '99 ram rebuilder and i'll tell you that extra 400 bones a month feels great. Oh wait......**** i just dumped that into my dodge...LOL

Old 12-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Yeah I was on that path at one time. At the time I thought hey I want to keep this truck forever. I realized it wouldn't be my DD or anything like that and it wouldn't even be my main vehicle but everyone needs a truck at times so thought I'd keep it for those times. So I dumped a ton of money into it and then a year and a half later really just started getting tired of it.

I would seriously think about how long you really are going to want to keep it before you dump a ton of money into it. If you aren't going to keep it that long I'd get rid of it before you have to do all of the repairs. If you plan to keep it for quite a while then the repairs aren't so bad.

Which problems are you having now?
right now my tranny seems to shift funny sometimes and I have a softplug leak between the tranny and engine....as well a soaked insulation under the carpet (have to find the source of leak)..and the airbag light is on and the ac or criuse doesnt work. need shocks bad too.
the stuff I just fixed was gov pressure soleniod and sensor to get the tranny to shift had the rear diff rebuild due to a bad bearing and a blown lsd falling apart also also body work that wasnt done right (still not ideal but 100% better) replaced the sticky thermostat the partially missing air cleaner also replaced the completly shot steering damper and took 3 inches of play out of intermediate shaft with jb weld and shim (need to replace) repaired some cut wires in 4x4 mechanism at front axle replaced useless shot headlights.....I guess I've been lucky as for the most part mine runs great and doesnt really burn oil even with 140k...I did other comsmetic stuff too that I didnt have to like replace the front bumper and grill ' weatherstripping, rims, rhinolined stuff like the bed and stainless things here and there, had broken nerf bar welded....also added the stereo/amps and speakers....although now I discovered it drains my battery faster than it charges with the tunes cranked and putting around town. I already dumped like 2 grand more than I could ever hope to get for it.....but thats the way it goes with older vehicles its not what its worth its what its worth to you

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-03-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by moparama
I will add this i turned in my '07 f-150 and bought this '99 ram rebuilder and i'll tell you that extra 400 bones a month feels great. Oh wait......**** i just dumped that into my dodge...LOL
I have a friend who bought an 06 f150 from a dealership at the same time I bought my truck and he has had to dump over 3 grand into it for repairs so far and its only got 68k on it.....And he had the dealership fix a bunch of problems for free the first month he had it...i would really be pissed if I was him. My dad has had better luck with his 05....

Old 12-03-2009, 11:21 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a friend who bought an 06 f150 from a dealership at the same time I bought my truck and he has had to dump over 3 grand into it for repairs so far and its only got 68k on it.....And he had the dealership fix a bunch of problems for free the first month he had it...i would really be pissed if I was him. My dad has had better luck with his 05....
dang furds

Old 12-03-2009, 01:55 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah honestly of the American trucks I think the Ford is the best. However, I still don't think it's very good. That's why I say I don't want to ever buy a vehicle from one of the American brands again. How often do you hear of someones Honda having all those issues? Not often. Same goes for Toyota or even Nissan.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:56 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Hometheaterman - your truck is sweet. Sad to hear you're gonna get rid of it.. What all did you have to replace that was so costly?

Out of all the truck brands, I think Ford & Dodge are the best. I like Dodges because my family has owned quite a bit of them. To be honest, I think ours all have run pretty good except for one we bought brand new and it was a POS so we gave it back to the dealer and got a different one like 2 months later. Ford definitely would be my 2nd pick. I don't know if you could ever convince me to buy a chevy though. Just my .02

Old 12-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

I have some friends with chevy trucks..(one works at chevy) and I noticed they seem to have a lot of issues with the electronic 4wd/awd system it cost my friend a good buck to get fixed....twice since hes owned it..
my buddy with the ford had the starter cable shear right off the starter....apparently the dealership told him it was common on that year...both my buddy and father spent a fortune on brakework too....
I gotta say my dads ford drives like a lincoln compared to mine...of course its way newer too with the independant front suspension that has its own problems and limitations.
I wonder how the new fords will hold up being that they are 98% robotically made in Argentina now....

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-03-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Yeah honestly of the American trucks I think the Ford is the best. However, I still don't think it's very good. That's why I say I don't want to ever buy a vehicle from one of the American brands again. How often do you hear of someones Honda having all those issues? Not often. Same goes for Toyota or even Nissan.
well then you dont want a Toyota....its the only truck eclusivly made in the USA left..and most of Nissan truck/suv's are made here now as well..weird isnt it?
all the avalaches as well as the majority of ram 1500's are from mexico and over half of the chevy truck line is from canada....as mentioned above all ford 150's will be made in south america going forward, although im not sure where the heavier duty lines are made...maybe america like the heavier Dodges..
first thing the government should have demanded when they bailed out GM was that they move the jobs back to the states instead of taking more out of the country like they are doing...WTF?
i wish every vehicle had to have a plaque on the rear stating where it was made....that would open some eyes...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-03-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:02 PM
rideordie
Veteran

I have some friends with chevy trucks..(one works at chevy) and I noticed they seem to have a lot of issues with the electronic 4wd/awd system it cost my friend a good buck to get fixed....twice since hes owned it..
my buddy with the ford had the starter cable shear right off the starter....apparently the dealership told him it was common on that year...both my buddy and father spent a fortune on brakework too....
I gotta say my dads ford drives like a lincoln compared to mine...of course its way newer too with the independant front suspension that has its own problems and limitations.
I wonder how the new fords will hold up being that they are 98% robotically made in Argentina now....
Most of my buddies with fords don't have to do much to theirs. As with the dodges..But man, the ones with the chevys seem like they have problems left and right.

well then you dont want a Toyota....its the only truck eclusivly made in the USA left..and most of Nissan truck/suv's are made here now as well..weird isnt it?
all the avalaches as well as the majority of ram 1500's are from mexico and over half of the chevy truck line is from canada....as mentioned above all ford 150's will be made in south america going forward, although im not sure where the heavier duty lines are made...maybe america like the heavier Dodges..
At least my Ram is American

Quick Reply: What's a fair asking price for my truck?