2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gas Gauge stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Dodge.Ismo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CSXfan
Don't drop the tank, just remove the bed. Trust me, it's a whole lot easier. Just undo the 6 (or 8, I don't know exactly how many there are) bolts holding on the bed, unplug the taillights, remove the fill tube (4 or so screws), wrap some shop towels around the corners of the bumper so you don't accidentally smash the bed into bumper, and get 3 or 4 friends to help you left the bed off. Once the bed is off you have full access to the fuel tank. You don't have to drain the tank, and when you try to fix whatever is wrong with the gauge, you don't have to reinstall the tank every single time you want to test it out.
That's a great idea for spring or summer time,...cause you can clean the whole rear end,..rust paint stuff,..fix your tank,..grease+lubricate sh*t..everything,..I'm doing that after winter ends...hell..after spring ends! You're right about it being easier for access...but then there's the light wiring,...paying your buddies to help out for taking it off + putting it on...are they available.., breaking rusted bolts..still the better way to go tho...

Old 12-16-2009, 03:00 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i have new bolts with antiseize holding the tank up...cuz the fuel pump was replaced at the dealership 17K ago. so its gunna be a breeze...

by the way resetting the computer and banging on the sending unit a bit didnt help

Old 12-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Dodge.Ismo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
i have new bolts with antiseize holding the tank up...cuz the fuel pump was replaced at the dealership 17K ago. so its gunna be a breeze...

by the way resetting the computer and banging on the sending unit a bit didnt help
Isn't that always the deal with these trucks of ours? ...If there's three possible fixes for a certain problem,..2-easy + inexpensive,..and one hard way that costs a bundle......we get the latter! ***I'm glad to hear that your bolts are fresh 95RAM360, + your fix should be alot easier.

Last edited by Dodge.Ismo; 12-16-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:50 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

UPDATE:

ok so i took out the gauge cluster, and i moved the needle by hand to a 1/4 tank. hooked it back up, started it, and the gauge went right back to the full mark where it was stuck at....So i figure its the sending unit....i also check the wires from fuel pumpto front of chassis, and nothing is chaffed/broken....So now at my last resort, dropping the fuel tank.

Quick Reply: Gas Gauge stuck