2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thoughts on Sea Foam

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:39 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Use enough that it will stall the engine. There is no specified amount for that. Then you can wait 5-30 minutes to take it for a drive.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:39 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
You pour Seafoam in the brake booster line.

Surprisingly, I cant get either trucks to do a big smoke show like I see on Youtube. I guess I need to start doing a whole can.
You have to let some go through the brake booster and then pour directly into the intake to stall the motor. Let set for 15 minutes, and it should look like this:

Old 12-30-2009, 01:16 AM
rumble_truck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did this on a buddy's 91 thunderbird sc, filled up a city block with smoke, made it alittle torquier, went away in about 100miles though.

I love the stuff, just cause I also like smoke bombs...

Old 12-30-2009, 09:40 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

isn't letting the brake booster line suck it up the same as pouring it down the intake?

Old 12-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
marvels mystery oil is used the same way..... funny they talk about it on the vw site like seafoam is refered to here...It has wintergreen in it which is some kind of old school penetrant in it and does wonders to free up sticky valves. I've heard of people misxing it half mmo and half water when pouring it into a carb or throttlebody throat while at half rpm....same thing with smoke and it steam cleans too

that oil of wintergreen is the god of all penetrating fluids.
my dad used to use it when he was in the navy and he said that it only took a drop on severely rusted bolts (sea salt will rust them up pretty quick). he said that it was stored in a brown glass bottle in the machine shop on the ship and anyone could grab it when they needed it, but now a days (in the navy) you have to sign it out and its kept under lock and key because it's toxic.

oil of wintergreen is used in a lot of cleaning agents but it's diluted quite a bit, the pure stuff is what you use as a penetrating fluid. if you can get your hands on some.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 12-30-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:24 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i got MCCC from the dealer (same thing) and i took the air breather off, and i opened the butterflies and sprayed it in. let the truck run for 5 minutes, then i shut it off for 15, started it, and smoke show. let it run for like 10-15 minutes at regular idle before driving.

those are what the directions told me.

and it does work...i cant prove how, but i could just tell.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rumble_truck
Did this on a buddy's 91 thunderbird sc, filled up a city block with smoke, made it alittle torquier, went away in about 100miles though.

I love the stuff, just cause I also like smoke bombs...
its more for cleaning up a mess in the engine after repairing the cause....for example a fouled out plug or blown plenum can cause a bad soot buildup on pistons and vavles....this would clean that out but the problem that caused it has to be fixed to prevent it from comming right back...

Old 12-30-2009, 01:30 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Seafoam works. I like the seafoam deep creep myself.

Today I'm swapping in my cam. While I had the engine apart, I sprayed seafoam on the combustion chamber of my heads and the tops of the pistons. It broke up the carbon deposits and made it really easy to scrape off.

You might have to really hammer the gas a bit to get it to blow loose. Seeing how it worked today on the carbon, I think it would be better to only wait about 15 minutes before firing it over and doing 2 treatments then to let it sit for a few hours as I have heard before.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:03 PM
rwilhelms
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually just seafoamed my truck today after reading this post. I poured in the brake booster vaccum line directly in the throttle body and in the gas tank. I stalled it out then let it sit for 10 minutes fired it back up and let it idle for about 5 minutes before driving it. It seems like its running alot smoother and when in drive at a stop it idles around 3-4 hundred rpms were it was always around 5 before.

Also the guy at the parts store asked my if I wanted the stuff for the engine cause they also make tranny cleaner to. I didnt know that. Has anybody tried the tranny seafoam or have any clue how it works?

Old 12-30-2009, 02:15 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rwilhelms
I actually just seafoamed my truck today after reading this post. I poured in the brake booster vaccum line directly in the throttle body and in the gas tank. I stalled it out then let it sit for 10 minutes fired it back up and let it idle for about 5 minutes before driving it. It seems like its running alot smoother and when in drive at a stop it idles around 3-4 hundred rpms were it was always around 5 before.

Also the guy at the parts store asked my if I wanted the stuff for the engine cause they also make tranny cleaner to. I didn't know that. Has anybody tried the tranny seafoam or have any clue how it works?
I put it in mine when I first got my truck. Drove it for 12mile and changed the fluid when I drained the fluid I looked kinda dirty so I would say it cleaned the trans alittle.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Sea Foam