2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Extremely confusing taillight/gauge lights/brake light problem..

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:55 PM
yakkier
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Extremely confusing taillight/gauge lights/brake light problem..

Hello my peoples i am back, been 2 years since iv been gone and everything has changed ?!

anyways i have an 1994 dodge ram 5.2 single cab 4x4 that has an issue in which i need the help of my fellow dodge lovers, I have no tailights,brakelights, or guage lights. Now yes iv done all the normal things, changed bulbs fuses etc etc. My hazards work, my headlights work High and lowbeams, my cig lighter works and all warning lights work on the dash, Except for the lights iv already mentiond. it all started two days ago i lost my drivers side tailight, Np easy fix just change the blub. guess what i changed the bulb an it blew a fuse, and i lost my guage lights, and also passengerside tailight. so i changed the fuse and nothing has come back on.

It's 0 dagrees outside and 20 below with windchill and im in an unheated garage, wont some of my old friends PLEASE GIVE ME SOME SUGGESTIONS!

ty in advance.

Last edited by yakkier; 01-08-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:05 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

check for shorted wires

Old 01-09-2010, 04:03 AM
halfamil
All Star

IP/Horn/Parking Lamps are on the same circut(No.4) in the PDC under the hood.It's a 50 amp red. Always make sure everything is turned off when changing fuses or they will immediatey blow.

Last edited by halfamil; 01-09-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:50 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

ground wire at the rear of chassis...i had almost an identical problem except i had alot more wrong than you, and 1 ground wre fixed it all. it was at the rear where it goes into the first mutil-port connector...the ground had broken right off from it. re-wired it and havent had a problem since

Old 01-09-2010, 06:55 AM
jsw0767

On my 97 the fuse for tail lights aodgauge lights started to always blow when I wouldtfirst turn on lights. Never lost brake lights. Turned out to be bad head light switch. Cjgeck it out.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:04 AM
halfamil
All Star

Yes,that could be his problem.There has been 4 headlight switches installed in my truck.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:25 AM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to hijack the thread but I am having a problem with my reverse lights it will blow a fuse every 2-3 months any ideas how to fix them

Old 01-09-2010, 09:16 PM
yakkier
Banned

Ty for the replies, im going to dive into the problem tomorrow and try and figure it out. i'll post the solution once i find it!

Old 01-10-2010, 08:32 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRedRam95
Not to hijack the thread but I am having a problem with my reverse lights it will blow a fuse every 2-3 months any ideas how to fix them
after i first bought my truck i noticed i was semi-regularly blowing the reverse light fuse, couldn't figure out why. later on i was messing with the trailer wiring and found that the previous owner had done some custom wiring and connected the reverse light lead to the 4 pin ground. duh. i guess he had something custom on the trailer end to make this work but it sure confused me. every time i towed something i blew a reverse light fuse.

if you have the towing package, one of the 6 pin, (maybe 5 pin) is the reverse light, so you might have a problem in the wiring of the truck, or you may be towing something with a wiring problem.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:57 PM
yakkier
Banned
Unhappy

Found one problem, i found a wire that was broken, that fixed my tailights and my guage lights, but i cant figure out whats going on with my brake lights now, they were working the night i got home after all this started happening and i changed some fuses out an now my damn brake lights dont work, including the 3rd light on the cab.

it's too cold to be trying to trouble shoot all the wires because the truck is dripping wet with melted snow, and im rolling around on the cold garage floor on a creaper, hopfully i can drive it back n forth to work since atleast i have tailights and guage lights blinkers etc, just hope the **** burnsville cops dont pull me over.

Quick Reply: Extremely confusing taillight/gauge lights/brake light problem..