2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Disabling the auto-lock feature

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
you could push the car in front of you out of the way and roll on out.

i enabled mine when i found out i had that feature in the manual. i'll look in my book here in a few minutes and update this post when i do. i believe it is key on/key off 3 times then hit the lock button on the door.
that's what I was thinkin, I know there is something like that to change it, but just can't remember what it is.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:11 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CSXfan
I get home from work, park my truck and go inside the house. Then lets say I want to grab something out of the passenger side back seat, I always forget that the passenger door is locked because I never lock my truck at home or at work. So I gotta go to the drivers side and unlock it. Yeah I know it's only like 10 feet away, but it's still annoying.

Lets say me and my girlfriend are driving through an intersection, a semi truck blows through the red light and t-bones us on the drivers side. The semi comes to rest against the drivers side door so it won't open. I'm unconcious so I can't hit the onlock botton to open the passenger side door, and my girlfriend is injured in a way that prevents her from hitting the unlock botton. My truck is on fire and people are trying to pull us out, but they can't because the damn door is locked!

Can someone tell me an advantage of auto lock doors? I can't think of any.
Hopefully sheriff will figure out how to disable it for ya, but let me ask if your in your driveway situation... do you not have your keys with you that you could open the passenger door? You could always get the remote for your truck too. But then again like you said you could just disable it too. In all honesty if there isn't a simple way to turn it off, we all know there has to be a trigger wire from the pcm to have it lock so you'll just have to snip it.

As far as your example, lets just hope that never happens. I hear you but still... in that situation the people who are trying to help should have enough common sense to bust the window and pop the lock or pull the handle. Again sure it is extra, but maybe it is because after being robbed I take locking doors a bit more seriously now. I used to leave the keys in my car in my driveway... not anymore.

However in your quest to ask when the locks would be useful, take this for example, it happened just the other day at my college.
http://www.pct.edu/police/crimeAlerts/crimeAlert.asp

Old 01-16-2010, 11:33 AM
CSXfan
All Star

I leave my keys in the ignition with the doors unlocked so no, I can't just hit the remote unlock button. Yeah, I know, it's probably not a great idea to leave it like that but I live in a very low crime area way back in the sticks, and I'm pretty sure my dog would take care of anyone who's sneaking around my property.

Reading that article you posted does put things in perspective, that's some scary stuff. Still, I'd like to think the odds of that happening are very slim. If somebody did try to pull something like that, I'd do exactly what Ryan suggested. Just put the pedal to the floor and try to run them over.

What I'm trying to say is that the amount of protection the auto locks offer isn't worth the extra hassle to me.

Sherrif, if you could do that for me,that'd be great. Thanks

Old 01-16-2010, 11:43 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by CSXfan
I leave my keys in the ignition with the doors unlocked so no, I can't just hit the remote unlock button. Yeah, I know, it's probably not a great idea to leave it like that but I live in a very low crime area way back in the sticks, and I'm pretty sure my dog would take care of anyone who's sneaking around my property.
Haha well start carrying your keys Nah, all I wanted to say was I thought this too, until some people from a neighboring state ventured up this way hit our house one night. Again since we live in a low crime area... we didn't have an alarm. Plus I want a doberman but leaving the dog reponsibility up to my parents at home wouldn't be a cool idea while im at school... so we didn't have that help either.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:00 PM
yakkier
Banned

SLT's usually come with auto lock, mine does and also my durango, truck is a 94 and durango is a 99. you cant manually do it you need to take it to a dealer, they will have to do it as far as i know. autolocks are joined with the power windows/locks at the board so if u pull a fuse then it's going to disable both.

Originally Posted by hounddogks76
I didn't think the 99's had that feature...does it have an aftermarket security system?

Old 01-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

read the other post from me. i thought the manual was still in the glove box, but i was wrong. what happened to my manual?

you can disable it, mine was disabled when i got the truck and i enabled it, took about 15 seconds.
try what i said in the other post and tell me if it worked.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:05 PM
MrRuckuss
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uuummmmmmm i usually

Last edited by MrRuckuss; 01-16-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:08 PM
MrRuckuss
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i keep a spare key in my wallet

Old 01-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Skab
Rookie

One of the nice things about the auto lock when working is if the key's in the ignition and the vehicles running the driver door will not lock ifyour not in the seat, so you don't get locked out while warming up your pick-up.
I just mention that since it happened to me the first week I got my pick-up

Old 01-17-2010, 08:04 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the driver door won't lock with the button on the door if the key is in the ignition or if the lights are on, but it will lock manually or with the key fob.

Quick Reply: Disabling the auto-lock feature