2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Disabling the auto-lock feature

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:23 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To disable the automatic rolling door lock:

Close all doors (make sure you are inside).

Cycle the key from the off position to the on position (without starting the vehicle) 4 times, ending in the on position.

Then press the drivers side door lock switch to lock the doors (within 30 seconds).

And thats it! you should here a pretty little chime in the background if it was properly deactivated. Reactivation can be performed using the same steps above.... but who the hell would want it reactivated anyway

Old 01-17-2010, 08:25 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MrRuckuss
i keep a spare key in my wallet

And I thought having a few credit cards and dollar bills was bad enough... fawk that

Old 01-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by olyelr
To disable the automatic rolling door lock:

Close all doors (make sure you are inside).

Cycle the key from the off position to the on position (without starting the vehicle) 4 times, ending in the on position.

Then press the drivers side door lock switch to lock the doors (within 30 seconds).

And thats it! you should here a pretty little chime in the background if it was properly deactivated. Reactivation can be performed using the same steps above.... but who the hell would want it reactivated anyway
i forgot to mention to leave it in the on position, but i was close on the procedure. i can't find my owners manual and its been 6 years since i read about the auto lock feature.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet, I might try this today on my dad's truck and see how it works..... Hell, I might even try re activating it in mine just to see if it does it

Old 01-17-2010, 10:29 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
i forgot to mention to leave it in the on position, but i was close on the procedure. i can't find my owners manual and its been 6 years since i read about the auto lock feature.

Well I'll be go to hell, I didn't even see your post about the procedure. You were dang close for guessing from memory!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

it doesn't work on a 98. i just tried on my dads truck.
after trying, i looked at his manual and it says that it can be turned on/off at the dealership.

then i tried on mine and i stopped after 3 key turns for a second because the odometer said "pdone" and i've never done the key trick before so that caught my eye. then i tried it with the 4 turns on/off and on the fourth turn of the key i got six dings. then i took the key out and put it back in and turned the truck on and got 6 dings.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
it doesn't work on a 98. i just tried on my dads truck.
after trying, i looked at his manual and it says that it can be turned on/off at the dealership.

then i tried on mine and i stopped after 3 key turns for a second because the odometer said "pdone" and i've never done the key trick before so that caught my eye. then i tried it with the 4 turns on/off and on the fourth turn of the key i got six dings. then i took the key out and put it back in and turned the truck on and got 6 dings.

On the newer trucks cycling the key 3 times will show your trouble codes (00 and newer I think)The 'pdone' means it done showing the codes, or there is none.

I dunno what the 6 dings means though, is that not the standard # of dings? I just heard the wife pull in the yard with mine, so I'll check some stuff out shortly, and am goin down to my dad's so I'll check it too.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

its normally 3.and the other three are saying that the auto lock deal completed. i don't know why i got the 6 dings again when i put the key back in and turned it back on. maybe it is because it was less than 30 seconds and i didn't open the door yet.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:24 AM
CSXfan
All Star

Thanks olyelr, that's exactly what I needed. It worked like a charm.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:27 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by CSXfan
Thanks olyelr, that's exactly what I needed. It worked like a charm.

cool magool

Quick Reply: Disabling the auto-lock feature