2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Disabling the auto-lock feature

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 07:58 PM
CSXfan
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disabling the auto-lock feature

Hi all,
The doors on my '99 5.9l 4x4 half ton automatically lock when my speed reaches 15mph, and it's been pissing me off since I bought the truck. It's gotta be the most retarded safety feature ever created.

Anyway, can anyone tell me how to disable it? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:27 PM
hounddogks76

I didn't think the 99's had that feature...does it have an aftermarket security system?

Old 01-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my dad's 99 has it, my 98 does not. He would love it if I could disable it for him haha...

I know on a lot of cars there is a way to do this with key turns, throttle presses, etc... or somethin...

Old 01-15-2010, 08:49 PM
CSXfan
All Star

It has a viper remote start, and somewhat of a viper security system. If I try to use the viper remote to lock/unlock the doors the alarm will go off, but it doesn't lock/unlock the doors. I don't think this has anything to do with the auto lock feature though.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:42 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

What part pisses you off about it? When you need to pop the door, you pull your handle, and if you need to let someone in the passenger side, hit the button. I have manual locks... haha talk about a pain in the *** having to lean over to pop it all the time. Wanna swap?

Old 01-16-2010, 12:56 AM
2001Ram
Captain

Mine does it as soon as I put it in drive, and it automatically unlocks when I put it in park.. hmm?

Old 01-16-2010, 01:00 AM
CSXfan
All Star

I get home from work, park my truck and go inside the house. Then lets say I want to grab something out of the passenger side back seat, I always forget that the passenger door is locked because I never lock my truck at home or at work. So I gotta go to the drivers side and unlock it. Yeah I know it's only like 10 feet away, but it's still annoying.

Lets say me and my girlfriend are driving through an intersection, a semi truck blows through the red light and t-bones us on the drivers side. The semi comes to rest against the drivers side door so it won't open. I'm unconcious so I can't hit the onlock botton to open the passenger side door, and my girlfriend is injured in a way that prevents her from hitting the unlock botton. My truck is on fire and people are trying to pull us out, but they can't because the damn door is locked!

Can someone tell me an advantage of auto lock doors? I can't think of any.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:04 AM
2001Ram
Captain

Originally Posted by CSXfan
Can someone tell me an advantage of auto lock doors? I can't think of any.
When you are rollin through the hood and a brotha tries to jack your truck at gun point, its auto locked, just floor it

Old 01-16-2010, 01:14 AM
CSXfan
All Star

Originally Posted by 2001Ram
When you are rollin through the hood and a brotha tries to jack your truck at gun point, its auto locked, just floor it
Haha if a brotha with a gun is gonna car jack me, it's not gonna be that hard, even with the door locked. Usually that kind of stuff happens at red lights so what if there is a car in front of and behind me? I can't exactly go anywhere. He shoots out the window and opens the door. Now I'm screwed.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you could push the car in front of you out of the way and roll on out.

i enabled mine when i found out i had that feature in the manual. i'll look in my book here in a few minutes and update this post when i do. i believe it is key on/key off 3 times then hit the lock button on the door.
well my manual isn't in the glove box. try the key on/key off 3 times then hit the door lock within 30 seconds. and if you don't hear a chime then try the key 4 times and hit the lock. you should hear a chime when it takes.
remember on, not acc.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 01-16-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Disabling the auto-lock feature