2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission slow to shift out of second

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 01:19 PM
svwilliams
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission slow to shift out of second

2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.2 160,000 miles
This just started this morning. The truck has been driving fine, drove it last night and it was fine. This morning i get in crank up and drive off and the transmission takes forever to shift into second. The rpm goes up to 3000 and you have to be going about 30 mph for it to change to second. Other gears work fine. I read on other post it could be governor pressure sensor, solenoid, or tps among other things. What does everybody else think? I know where the tps is, but where is the governor pressure sensor and solenoid? how much are they and how hard are they to replace? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Old 01-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

hook a reader up to it ...even though you have no lights it would give you a code if its a gov pressure soleniod or sensor...I had a 1741 code...

Old 01-17-2010, 06:44 PM
babyhuey6810
Professional

2nd gear band adjustment.My truck does same thing and gettin worse.Im waiting until weather gets better to do mine.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:15 PM
svwilliams

went to autozone. no codes were showing. I went ahead and got a tps and maybe I will have a chance to put it on tonight. I guess after 160000 miles it could use one. if it does not fix it then I will take to my trusted transmission guy. What is involved in adjusting the bands? Is there any harm in driving it untill I get it fixed? Thanks.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:51 AM
svwilliams

put a new tps on last night. it did not fix the transmission. it will shift into second as soon as you let off the gas. i will take it tomorrow and let my transmission guy look at it.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:12 PM
halfamil
All Star

Originally Posted by svwilliams
i will take it tomorrow and let my transmission guy look at it.
That's a good idea if it's someone you know and trust. Small problems on these transmissions left unattended can lead to big bucks. I'm sure you have checked the fluid in the correct manner, if not look in your owner's manual and go by the steps to check it. Also inspect your fluid on the dipstick. Dark color or burnt smell can tell you alot.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:19 PM
svwilliams

fluid is bright red and full. I bought this truck about a year ago to have a truck around the house. It supposedly had a rebuilt transmission. I hope it is something simple like band adjustment or governor pressure sensor or solenoid. I think life would be more simple and muss less frustrating if vehicles had no computers and they all had standard transmissions.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:01 PM
MC Skinner

DO NOT ADJUST THE BANDS!!!!!

All you need to do is adjust your throttle valve cable, it needs to be longer. I would bet 99% odds that is what it is. If you cant adjust it on the top of the engine then all you need to do is bend the L bracket that the cable mounts to on the transmission towards the engine about an 1/4 of an inch.

Do this before you replace the shift or pressure solenoids!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:20 PM
foxea
Rookie

I have the same problem with mine. 203,000 miles on it. I will try bending the bracket a little tomorrow.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:56 PM
xray99
Banned

I agree to adjust the throttle cable, don't agree about bending a bracket to do it.

There is a little push lock tab on the adjuster, push it in [using a blunt tip like a phillips screwdriver] and adjust it one "click" either way.
If the shifting gets better, you might try 1 more click in the same direction.

If it got worse, then take it back to where it was, then go another click further the other way.
You can't actually hear it click, but you can feel it.
Can also use a marker to mark the cables current position on both sides of the bracket.
Very small adjustments can have a big effect, so take it slow.

Quick Reply: transmission slow to shift out of second